dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Problem with Migrating from local datastores to iSCSI datastores

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have an ESX 3.0.1 server with all patches installed.

I have 2 local datastores and 2 iSCSI datastores.

when i migrate a virtual machine from local storage to iSCSI storage, i get a strange error message when migration is at 100% ? The same error i get when i deploy a new template (located at local storage) to an iSCSI datastore. manual copy from the console works fine ? anybody an idea or hint how to fix this problem ? (i am using the virtual iSCSI adapter)

error message i get at 100%:

relocate virtual machine storage --> invalid configuration for device '0'

when i try to migrate the same virtual machine for a second time from local datastorage to iSCSI datastore i get the following error at 100%

relocate virtual machine storage --> The specified key, name or identiefier already exists.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

Does the virtual machine or template have any dependencies on local ISO files or floppy disk images? Can you verify that the virtual floppy and CD-ROM are mapped to Client Device prior to cloning?

If all else fails, "remove" the VM from inventory and try to re-add it. If that fails, delete the .vmx and re-create the virtual machine using existing vmdk disk and try the clone again.

Paul

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

Does the virtual machine or template have any dependencies on local ISO files or floppy disk images? Can you verify that the virtual floppy and CD-ROM are mapped to Client Device prior to cloning?

If all else fails, "remove" the VM from inventory and try to re-add it. If that fails, delete the .vmx and re-create the virtual machine using existing vmdk disk and try the clone again.

Paul

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

have changed floppy and cdrom to client device

it's looks like i've got now a bit further but another error pops in..

the virtualcenter server is unable to decrypte passwords stored in the customization specification

is this a familiar error for you ?

i will try to another deploy without the customization specification file...

i post the results..

first problem solved.. you are right about changing floppy and cdrom to client device.. thnxx for the tip..

I also found a workaround about the encrypted password error message.. but i am stil interested how to use the encrypted passwords .. i will start a new topic for that..

Re: Unable to decrypt passwords in customization spec

Posted: 18-mei-2007 18:20 in response to: RobMokkink Reply

I didn't update my post.

The workaround i use is to export the customization template:

where you can change Password01 to your needs.

This error comes up random. On some sites it works oke and some it don't.

Message was edited by:

dmaster

0 Kudos