VMware Cloud Community
FrantzCollini08
Contributor
Contributor

Problem out of space with redo log

Hello,

it is two times i had problem with "no more free space left for redo log" in a certain virtual machine.

I had no snapshot at the moment of the error and i had 15Gb free in my datastore; the problem repeated only into the same virtual machine, it is a Windows Server 2003 R2 Sp2.

What can be the problem?

Here is the last log:

May 26 08:31:58.484: vcpu-0| Msg_Question: msg.hbacommon.outofspace reply=0

May 26 08:31:59.083: vcpu-0| Msg_Question:

May 26 08:31:59.083: vcpu-0| http://msg.hbacommon.outofspace There is no more space for the redo log of W2003Sbs1-000001.vmdk. You

May 26 08:31:59.083: vcpu-0| may be able to continue this session by freeing disk space on

May 26 08:31:59.083: vcpu-0| the relevant partition, and clicking Retry. Otherwise,

May 26 08:31:59.083: vcpu-0| click Abort to terminate this session.

May 26 08:31:59.083: vcpu-0| -

Strange that all other virtual machines worked fine...

Thank you!

Francesco, from Italy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TB_Rich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The working footprint of a VM can fluctate for example if its balloning memory to disk or not. If memory becomes scare on the physical hosts and if just a few machines start to page out to disk then that 15GB can diminish to nothing!!

We have a datastore for vmdk's which house the windows pagefiles and using this same volume to set the working dir of each VM to its corresponding directory on this volume - (we do this so we are not wasting replication bandwidth) - anyway, this 'working' datastore can grow and shrink up to 100GB in size typically.

I would suggest that your datastore might well have become full temporarily and that is why the VM question was present. This happened to me a while ago before I was familiar with just how much our datastore was dynamically changing, about 30 VM's with a question for out of space! luckily with NFS I was able to provision the storage in seconds and answer with 'retry', there were no adverse effects at all im pleased to say.

You might want to think about provisioning some more space?

Cheers,

Rich.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

it seems that you are running a Snapshot on this VM, due to the changes that have taken place this snapshot is filling up your volume. I would suggest opening an SSH session to your console and do the following "vdf -h". This should give you a the real free space. If you are actually filling up the datastore please shutdown the vm and delete the snapshot from the VI Client. You maybe want to check how many snaps you have added to the vm before you press "delete all"

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos