VMware Cloud Community
Engelsman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem installing Update Manager en Converter Client Plugin

Hey all,

Today i've been busy installing the new Virtual Center 2.5 along with VMware Converter and VMware Update Manager.

The first problem i ran into was installing VC 2.5. The setup program ended with the Windows Installer option screen.

According to VMware KB2072: The Install Shield package of VirtualCenter files is a 16-bit application that uses 8.3 file notation (how sad)

(More info on this problem at )

Running the setup like this: VMware-viclient.exe /V"/le vc25log.txt" solved the problem.

I had the same problems installing VMware Converter and Update Manager (on the same box) so i used the above option to be able to install both Converter and Update Manager.

Now here comes the next problem:

When I start the Plugin Manager from VC i can see both Converter and Update Manager Plugins, ready to be downloaden and installed.

However, when I select download and install for a plugin, I get the Windows Installer option screen again.

Is there another way to do this?

Update:

It seems that after changing my TMP and TEMP Variables everything installs fine now.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dennis2
Contributor
Contributor

Hey all,

It seems that after changing my TMP and TEMP Variables everything installs fine now.

Changing them to what?

0 Kudos
Engelsman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Sorry for the late reaction.

I've change the TMP and TEMP varialbes to C:\TEMP

0 Kudos
kklueber
Contributor
Contributor

ok., i was glad to know i wasn't the only one having this problem. the work-around above worked for me then my BCS engineer pointed this out to me

When Installing VirtualCenter Client or Server, an Error Message for msiexec Appears

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2072

The Install Shield package of VirtualCenter files is a 16-bit application that uses 8.3 file notation.

Your system may have 8.3 file name creation disabled by the Administrators or Group policy in order to increase performance on an NTFS file system.

Two options are available to solve the problem:

• Re-enable 8.3 name creation by setting a DWORD value of 0 for this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

Microsoft article ID 121007 describes disabling 8.3 name creation; see support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;121007.

• Set the %temp% environment variable to use an 8.3 naming convention path (that is, C:\temp).

we lock our servers down to disable 8.3 names. when i reversed this in the registry and changed my temp env. variable, the problem went away. hope this helps

0 Kudos