VMware Cloud Community
rhnb
Contributor
Contributor

Problem growing VMDK's to over 1TB

Running ESX3.5u5

I have a SAN volume of 2TB's. (NFS mounted)

If I create a VMDK of say 100GB on that volume, and grow it to 1023GB all is fine.

If I try to grow that 100GB to say 1100GB, then although it shows as 'Completed', when I look at the disk size, it's still the original size (100GB).

Oddly- If I create the VMDK initially at say 1024GB, then I can happily grow that to anything I like (up to 2TB).

Anyone else seen this and know if there's a workaround? I didn't really want to create the volume at over 1TB to start with, but grow it over time. However, it looks like I may have to if I 'know' at some stage in the future I want a VMDK > 1TB.

Cheeers... Allan.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What block size does the VMFS datastore have? It sounds like it is at 4 MB which will cap the size of the VMDK to 1 TB - it will need to be set to 8 MB to allow for VMDK's to be larger than 1024 MB -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rhnb
Contributor
Contributor

I'll check that but how does that explain the fact that if I create the VMDK 'initially' at over 1TB (which I can), I can then increase it without problem?

It seems that it' only if I create the initial VMDK at under 1TB that I hit this cap of 1TB for expansion.

0 Kudos
PaulSvirin
Expert
Expert

Does the same procedure via the commandline give you the same result?

---

iSCSI SAN software

--- iSCSI SAN software http://www.starwindsoftware.com
rhnb
Contributor
Contributor

Thats the next thing I'm going to try - once I can work out the correct command Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

So can we confirm that you are doing the action against the same datastores

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
rhnb
Contributor
Contributor

OK - some progress (well I'm happier now)

Looks like it might be a 'bug' in Virtual Center?

Here's what I did and this worked...

Created a 2TB SAN volume (presented to the ESX host via NFS)

Added a hard disk to a VM on that volume and sized it at 1100GB

Confirmed - it wouldnt expand using VC (no error - just still shows as 1100GB)

Used the command line to expand it...

vmkfstools -X 1250G /vmfs/volumes/mysanvol/myvm/myvm.vmdk

'ls -l' showed the new size

Went onto the VM and created a partition in that VMDK of 1250G and all OK.

The only problem is that in VC, the disk still shows as 1100GB (as initially created) but I can live with that.

Thanks for all suggestions etc.

0 Kudos