VMware Cloud Community
M3ph
Contributor
Contributor

Present LUN to 2 Virtual Server on ESX 3.5

Hi there,

I want to setup a microsoft cluster on 2 vmware servers. I've read the document to do this and I understand what the possibilities are. Now When I create a virtual machine I can add f.e. LUN1 to it as a RDM. But when I configure virtual server 2, I cannot add the same lun, its not visible. How do I resolve this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

When you setup the RDM what compatibility mode to you use? Physical or Virtual? You should use physical compatibility mode for RDM's being used in a cluster.

Sid Smith-----

VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08

• Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers.;-)

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

vCenter filters the LUNs that are already assigned to other vm's. See excerpt from U2 release notes below. This will make them visible again.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

Virtual Machines Cannot Share a Raw LUN By Using Two Different RDM Files Unless RDM Filters Are Turned Off

Starting with the ESX Server 3.5 Update 2 release, by default, two virtual machines cannot share a raw LUN by using different RDM files.

When using the Microsoft Cluster Service, it might be required that two RDM files link to the same raw LUN. To enable two RDM files to link to the same LUN, RDM filters should be turned off in hostd and in the VirtualCenter Server by performing the following steps:

1. To turn off the RDM filter in hostd, add the following lines in the /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml file and restart hostd:
    <plugins>
    <solo>
    <rdmfilter>
    <UsedAsVmRdm>false</UsedAsVmRdm>
    </rdmfilter>
    </solo>
    </plugins>

2. To turn off the RDM filter in the VirtualCenter Server, in the VI Client, choose Administration ->Virtual Center Server Configuration, select Advanced Settings and add a row to set the vpxd.filter.rdmFilter variable to false.

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos