VMware Cloud Community
gudel
Contributor
Contributor

PowerEdge 2950 with ESX 3.5 storage

We have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with RAID 50 setup, and ESX 3.5. One of the drive died, and it was replaced. I had to shutdown ESX, and go to the RAID controller, set the new drive as a general spare so the controller can rebuild.

Is there a way of doing this from ESX or from Dell RAC so I don't have to shutdown ESX to do disk rebuild?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, install Openmanage on the ESX host. You can reconfigure the RAID from there, and you won't have to shutdown.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Its a solution for this purpose but not recommended to install anything on top fo Service Console but I've seen people desperate to have Dell OpenManage up. Logon to your Dell Open Manager administrator console and select your esx hosts and disk drives and right click on it you can rebuilt it easily.

"The Power of Knowledge"

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
gudel
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to install OpenManage, and can see the drives.

Is there any reasons why the OpenManage should not be installed on top of the Service Console?

0 Kudos