VMware Cloud Community
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

PowerConvert vs VMware Convert

Any thoughts from the Communtiy on the differences between these two products. I have used PlateSpin for P2V and really liked, its just a little $$$. I have yet to use the VMware converter, so I dont know how it works. We had a vendor recommend PowerConvert to us, and then a few months later the same vendor has now recommened VMware converter. Found that a little bizarre.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I used to recommend PowerConvert over VMware's P2V Assistant but with Converter VMware addressed many of the shortcomings of P2V Assistant - At this stage I would go with Converter and save some money unless you have a need to V2P then it might be worth while to gor with PowerConvert - In summary both are great products and perform as promised -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

Used both.., personally i prefer to stick with VMware Convertor as its capable of doing most P2V's anyway and involves less base hassle just doing a straighforward convert.

Platespin is however more advanced and a great P2V tool, cost being a negative factor..., but you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

I think if you are doing a massive VM project involving numerous P2V's then invest however for under 100 VM conversions just stick with VMware Convertor.

My personal 2 cents worth

Carl

Rockapot
Expert
Expert

beat me to it by a minute Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome. Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I have no life - :smileycool:

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

LOL Smiley Happy, I was justing thinking the same about myself!

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

And I wouldve replied a minute later as well, but I was stuck on the phone with above mentioned vendor.

Definitely a big fan of the response times around here.

0 Kudos
GKoo
Contributor
Contributor

One feature that is very appealing to me is that the latest version of PowerConvert supports sector alignment during P2V, V2V or I2V migrations. It aligns on 64th sector, not configurable.

0 Kudos