VMware Cloud Community
wmz
Contributor
Contributor

Power on VM Machine defaults to Network Boot?

Hi there,

I am trying to build a Solaris 10 virtual machine. I have followed the wizard and added all the necessary components / settings. However when I started the VM it keeps default to a 'Network Boot' i.e. it seems to be probing for a DHCP address / PXE boot.

I have tried to use 'Client Device' seetings. 'Host Device' settings ... however nothings seems to make a difference. I have tried pointing at some of the default ISO images in:

Datastores > vmimages > tools-isoimages

However the VM just seems to default to the 'Network Boot'.

Is there any way around this?

How can I set the VM to boot from my Solaris install media?

Thank you for any help Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hit "ESC" during POST, which allows to select boot device.... or enter the VM's BIOS (F2, I think) and reconfigure the boot order..

Be sure you have selected connect at power on for the virtual device..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ups... If you're not fast enough pressing the correct key at power on, you can also force the VM to enter the BIOS at power on.. This can be do in the options pane, when selecting "Edit settings.." on the VM.... it can found under Boot options..

/Rubeck

Mark_Bradley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The default ISO's in Datastores > vmimages > tools-isoimages are actually not bootable ISO's, they are the installation files for the VMTools. These are mounted when you select to install the tools. You will need to copy a bootable ISO for Solaris 10 to one of your ESX servers, or the shared storage, and then mount this in the VM and power it on.

If you would like to force the VM to boot to the BIOS to check the boot order, select Edit Settings for the VM, go to the Options tab. About half way down the list is Boot Options, you can either delay the boot for a number of milliseconds or you can force the VM to go straight to the BIOS when next booted up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my blog at

__________________________________________________________________________________________ Check out my blog at http://www.ridethevirt.blogspot.com
wmz
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for all your quick replies. Much appreciated Smiley Happy

I have the 'Client Device' working using the ESC key method and selecting 'Connect CD/DVD'. Think I will create some ISO once I get more familiar with what is going on Smiley Wink

Cheers,

wmz

0 Kudos