VMware Cloud Community
andi24aekwl
Contributor
Contributor

Poor performance in "Storage VMotion" to an HP EVA 4100

Hello!

In our organization we have two HP EVA systems, that are integrated into the VM environment (HP EVA 4400 and 4100).

I am testing with Storage Vmotion at the moment, and I think that moving storage (disks) to the 4100 array seems to be very slowly; but only the writing. If I move the disks back from the 4100 to the 4400 it seems to be very fast.

To test the writing performance of the 4100 array, I have used a specifc benchmark tool, but it says that this array is faster in writing than the 4400.

The SAN connections are ok, it's only the way moving storage to the 4100 array at the goal.

Are there any possibilites why the moving to the 4100 array is so slow only in the VmWare environment?

Yours sincerely

Andrè Döking

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

All your tests are done from the same ESX?

Have you tried also to see disk benchmark from the ESX? (for example using dd).

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

To test the writing performance of the 4100 array, I have used a specifc benchmark tool, but it says that this array is faster in writing than the 4400.

What are:

- The drive types on the 4100

- RAID configuration

- How many disks in the array

- RAID controller in 4100 is is write back or write through?

0 Kudos
aaragao
Contributor
Contributor

Is EVA4400 ready for virtualization ?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

yes it is. I worked with the EVA a lot and it's a solid array.

Can you check the DAVG/KAVG with ESXTOP to see where it's stalling?

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos