VMware Cloud Community
Stuman333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Poor / Slow esxRanger/Migrate/Copy performance

Hi Guys,

We have 3 ESX 3.0.1 32039 Servers,

1. HP Prolaint DL380 G4p 2 x 3Ghz Xeons, 4GB RAM, Smart Array 6404 Controller with 512 MB Cache, 6 x 1Gpbs Nics.

esxRanger Performace 10 MB/s

2. HP Proliant DL380 G5 2 x Dual Core 2.66 Ghz Xeon 12GB RAM, Smart Aray P400 Controller 256 MB Cache, 6 x 1Gpbs Nics.

esxRanger Performace 10 MB/s

3. HP Proliant DL380 G5 2 x Quad Core 2.00 Ghz Xeon 16GB RAM, Smart Aray P400 Controller 256 MB Cache, 6 x 1Gpbs Nics.

esxRanger Performace 1 MB/s

I have tested a SecureFX copy (SFTP) to /var/updates and performance is fine. it's only when esxRangering, copying to /vmfs/...... or migrating a machine via VC.

I'm assuming this must be some kind of IO Throttle built in to ESX but the other 2 boxes don't suffer this performance problem.

All installs are standard, no advanced settings are different.

I have run esxtop with the following results

cpu average load: is less than 1%

WRITES/s

70 ish

My "Fast" Boxes run at about 600 - 700 WRITES/s

Has anyone else experienced these kind of performace issues ?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have the BBWC module installed and enabled on the slow server?

Maybe you might want to reseat all storage components (drives,cables,cards,etc) as well....

Ben

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It's not something simple like a dodgy patch lead?

Dave

Stuman333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Na, not networking related, I've tested the networking, patching in other machines and they get good speed.

I did a copy from /var/updates to /vmfs on the same machine and that was slow, Really Slow. 1 MB/s.

It's realy strange because on a virtually identical machine we have nearly 10 times the performace.

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have the BBWC module installed and enabled on the slow server?

Maybe you might want to reseat all storage components (drives,cables,cards,etc) as well....

Ben

0 Kudos
Stuman333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep ben your right,

I was under the impression from the guy who brought the first (Fast) server that we had did not get BBWC modules installed. but on friday i whipped the top off and there it was !

The fast server does have a BBWC Module.

Needless to say i have purchased a BBWC Module for the new (Slow) Server.

Cheers guys for all responses.

0 Kudos