VMware Cloud Community
denz1217
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ping time out when using VMotion

Hi All,

It seems that I'm getting a single or a couple ping timed out result when doing Vmotion from one node to another. Basically, I run ping -t on the virtual machine and then do a live migrate (VMotion). All seems fine except that I get a timed out result. I tried hard-coding the NIC speed of my vmkern and using auto-negotiate, however, the problem persists. I've also installed the vmtools on the test windows 2003 virtual machine. Am I missing something here?

Thanks and regards,

Dennis

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
caciolli
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, the single ping timeout is expeted, I think this is mostly due to the arp cache (mac address tables) on the physical switches.

The 'notify switch' option does not change this behavior.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

a dropped packet or two can actually happen - the nature of the tcp/ip network will allow it to recover

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

a single ping "timeout" is typical & Expected of a vmotion... nothing to worry about.

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
caciolli
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, the single ping timeout is expeted, I think this is mostly due to the arp cache (mac address tables) on the physical switches.

The 'notify switch' option does not change this behavior.

0 Kudos
denz1217
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

Thanks ya'll for your responses. I now feel relieved. The demo at http://blip.tv/file/738911 got me to believe and expect that there shouldn't be droping of packets during Vmotion.Thanks again to everyone who replied.

0 Kudos
mouse77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

It is wrong to miss packets. when that happens is some physical problem

on network or is working with SAN to verify performance.

We found this problem, but was identified when the SAN works with poor or low perfermonce.

Regards.

Edgardo morgan

0 Kudos
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dont warried its good sign... means somthing going on at VMotion side in my network i am gettting 3 timeout problem is at VMotion time system put whole machine in Memory bit map and then transfer that bit map to destination machine so that time only you got timeout and its depend on your network speed so its not a problem.

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Thanks

Satish Patel

• Journey toward "Virtual world"

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Thanks Satish Patel - Journey toward "Virtual world"
0 Kudos