VMware Cloud Community
jwilliams3034
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Permission to perform this operation was denied...

I setup a new ESX host. I configured it for Active Directory access and I added a couple of users, including myself. I created a new role with full Admin rights to the host and I created a new group which I added to this role.

Initially I created 2 users, added them to my "Admin" group. Both of these users are able to log in to the hose through both the Linux console and the VIC.

Now, I added 2 more users. I then added these users to my "Admin" group. However, when they log on they get the error "Permission to perform this operation was denied".

What am I missing?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Quotient
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

service mgmt-vmware restart[/b]

Maybe... Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
jwilliams3034
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I made a little progress (sort of). I tried this on a test server with no VMs running. I found that a reboot of the host will then allow the newly added users to log in to the ESX host via VIC.

However, a reboot is not an option on our live ESX server. Is there a specific service that should be restarted that would re-apply the authorized users that will not affect the running VMs?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Quotient
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

service mgmt-vmware restart[/b]

Maybe... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jwilliams3034
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it and it didn't take down my VMs.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
timfnb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same problem... New VMWare 3.0 server. It was working fine for 3-4 days last week. Came in after the weekend and I can no longer login -- I get the Permission to perform this operation was denied. Since we don't have any live servers configured, I restarted the server. Still no luck. I created some other users that work fine.

0 Kudos
lettech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It looks like your issue is different. Check that the user account you are using is OK, ie: not locked out, PW expired etc....remember the verification is actually happening at an account level in AD, it is unlikly to be service related.

0 Kudos
Jamin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having similar issues.

No AD pam plugin, and no Virtual Center (yet).

I have two groups of users who need to administer 2 groups of servers. I grant read-only at the ESX server level, at the VM level I grant administrator for the groups that need access, and no access to the other group.

I've found that the "propagate" function will propagate to all VM's, so turn that off.

When I run the recommended commands (service mgmt-vmware restart and service vmware-vmkauthd restart) all of the permissions I set are lost.

0 Kudos
arska999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have similar problems with newly added users (which are in Administrators group).

I tried "service mgmt-vmware restart" from console.

First ESX root went OK but in second root all the VMs crashed and then restarted (no warnings)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You've probably got auto-shutdown/startup of VMs enabled on that ESX host, if you do, restarting the mgmt-vmware service will restart all VMs on the host. Disable auto-shutdown/startup before restarting the management agent!

0 Kudos
rwmastel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone find out why this is happening?

0 Kudos
serenitynow98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sam deal here..

The above solutions dont work for me....

0 Kudos
serenitynow98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Figured it out.

I forgot the step to go to the Permissions tab and grant that user Administrator rights..

DOH !!!!

0 Kudos