VMware Cloud Community
jevel
Contributor
Contributor

Performance issues with ESX3.5U3

Hi.

I´ve searched around a bit on the forum, but I cannot find anything that looks quite like the things I am seeing here.

I have two separate issues that might or not be an issue at all, but to be sure I am turning to the community for advice. Smiley Happy

On all my guests I am seeing extremely high CPU wait numbers. We´re tallking 18000 - 20000. All guests seems to be running fine, but if I remember the lecture right from my training, a high CPU wait means that the CPU is waiting for I/O. What could this be? My SAN is not breaking a sweat, and my NICs are at 5 %

On top of this I see a repeating message in the eventlog. Three to five times per hour I get a "Resource allocation changed" on all the machines. What is this? I could not find any references to it when I searched for it in the forums or on Google.

-KJ

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GlennL10
Contributor
Contributor

We have ESX 3.0.2, 3.5u2 and 3.5u3, they all pretty much in the same region as yours with the CPU wait....

jevel
Contributor
Contributor

I installed a standalone ESXi yesterday, and did it all by the book (from VMWare cert training...), and it gives me the same numbers.

It seems that this is the normal value then.

Still looking into the resource allocation messages. Do you see those as well?

-KJ

0 Kudos