VMware Cloud Community
ec07
Contributor
Contributor

Performance Chart - Memory above 90% - How to Interpret

Hi All,

Why is the memory chart showing above 90% utilization but the Ubuntu top command showed 221M being used?

Is the memory chart reading taking both host memory and guest memory allocation?

Do I need to increase the host memory?

What other information should I take note or make changes?

(I have attached 4 screenshot (system info, ubuntu top cmd, memory chart and cpu chart in this post)

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Can you post the same picture as your first picture with ESX information instead of VM information? What are the specs of the ESX server? SSH to the ESX server and run top and post that information as well. Also run esxtop to see performance of all running VMs. Remember the first picture you attached is not real-time so that is probably why it does not match the VM. The performance tab (last picture) would be more accurate if set to real-time though you would probably want to change it from percent to MB. Only concern I see is the third picture, which makes it seem like you are utilizing all the memory on the ESX host.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
ec07
Contributor
Contributor

sflander

specs:

Dell Poweredge 1950

2 X E5410 Xeon Processor

16GB

esxtop

0 Kudos