VMware Cloud Community
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Patching ESX host that housed Virtual Center VM ...

Hi all,

I am running IBM T-chassis blade center wit hESX3.5 update 3 and VC 2.5 update 3. My Virtual Center is running on a VM in ESX01. I could use VC to scan & redmediated all other ESX hosts. Now, I need to scan and remediate EXS01 which housed a VC Virtual machine. I don't run VMotion so I could not "live" migrate VC VM's to another ESX host then patch ESX01.

I am on travel for the next three weeks and away from the LAB so I could not do much. However, I need to provide a document on how to do it? Funny how things work? Here are my thoughts (from memory):

1. Clone VC VM's - I could load VI client into one of the ESX host - let say ESX02. But, I don't think I can "clone" the VC VM's while it is running?

2. Migrate VC VM - I don't think you can "migrate" VM while using VI client login directly to ESX host?

What other options do I have? Please advice. Thanks.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kapplah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One try: Shut down the VC VM - now you don't have VC access at this moment. Connect via VC Client to ESX02 and register the VM via broswing the datastore. Restart the VM and reconnect to Virtual center.

Without shutting down the VM it won't work without vmotion.

Alex

0 Kudos