VMware Cloud Community
virtualesxer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PCI-E x1 1000Mb/s cards exist that will work with ESX 3.5

Hello,

I currently have two Intel Pro GT ethernet cards, which work fine in ESX 3.5. I wonder though, do PCI-E x1 1000Mb/s cards exist that will work with ESX 3.5? All my regular PCI-slots are filled, namely.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, have a look at the Intel Pro1000PT series, the single nic will work on a x1 bus whilest the dual and quad nic variants will run on a 4x/8x/16x bus and are on the HCL, just search under IO for intel and its near the top - the only wierd one is that the HCL chart it states PT adaptor, PT dual and PT quad but when you go into the details for the PT adaptor (which you'd think was the single port) it states its got 2 ports....

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check out the HCL - and search for PCI-x - this will give you the supported cards

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
virtualesxer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,. but I'm not looking for a PCI-X card, but a PCI-E x1. And typing 'pci-e' in the search links yields zero results.

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, have a look at the Intel Pro1000PT series, the single nic will work on a x1 bus whilest the dual and quad nic variants will run on a 4x/8x/16x bus and are on the HCL, just search under IO for intel and its near the top - the only wierd one is that the HCL chart it states PT adaptor, PT dual and PT quad but when you go into the details for the PT adaptor (which you'd think was the single port) it states its got 2 ports....

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
virtualesxer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Neil, that was just what I was looking for. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No probs Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
virtualesxer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm, when searching for shops, I see there are a lot of these 1000 PT cards. For instance,

http://www.azerty.nl/11-1077-37887/intel-pro-1000-pt-server-adapt.html

Or:

http://www.azerty.nl/11-1077-37888/intel-pro-1000-pt-server-adapt.html?tab=tech_specs

Both based on the Intel 82572EI chip. Both are single port, too. Should both work? Or is there more than the chipset to consider?

Thanks

0 Kudos
virtualesxer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

^^ I found a document which says the 82572EI chip is supported on ESXi 3.5 (Update 2):

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Hardware_support.php

So, does that go for ESX 3.5 too? These cards are relatively expensive; so I'd rather not waste good money, thanks

0 Kudos
virtualesxer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know it's Xmas, so traffic is probably slow. Smiley Happy But there's got to be someone with experience with the 82572EI chip on ESX 3.5 (Update 2).

0 Kudos