VMware Cloud Community
sreenathmv
Contributor
Contributor

P2V using Platespin Power Convert

Hi ALL,

I have few quires regarding P2V using power convert.

1. When P2V windows server from Multiprocessor to Uniprocessor, does powerconvert takes care of upgrading the HAL from Multiprocessor to Uniprocessor or vice versa?

2. I did one windows P2V conversion using platespin and changed the HOSTNAME and IP ADDRESS of the target machine, but when I search the registry on the target machine I still find the source machine HOSTNAME and IPADDRESS in some places of the registry, is there any configuration that aim missing?

Appreciate any help.

Sreenath

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gotwings
Contributor
Contributor

1. When P2V windows server from Multiprocessor to Uniprocessor, does powerconvert takes care of upgrading the HAL from Multiprocessor to Uniprocessor or vice versa?

In platespin you have the option to assign the new VM 1 or 2 virtual CPU's, ALWAYS use 1 cpu, dual cpu vm's run poorly, unless you are specifically told the cpu needs 2.

2. I did one windows P2V conversion using platespin and changed the HOSTNAME and IP ADDRESS of the target machine, but when I search the registry on the target machine I still find the source machine HOSTNAME and IPADDRESS in some places of the registry, is there any configuration that aim missing?

Honestly I would not change the hostname/ip or domain in a platespin job. I have done over 300 p2v's with platespin and I love using it. But when you make changess to the host OS, it seems to have a hard time completing those steps, (domain credentials vs local credentials etc). I would leave all that to do manually after the job completes. Let me know if you have more questions.

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1. Yes it does....VMware converter dosnt do this and ive noted this as a request.

2. I wouldnt touch renaming with platespin its a disaster waiting to happen.

Dan

0 Kudos
Borat_Sagdiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Platespin has some excellent support resources. Start here: http://forum.platespin.com/

Request a login for their KB area and support section, it has a lot of info in it. Also make sure that you're always using the latest revision of the software, they make updates often.

0 Kudos