shockadelica
Contributor
Contributor

Orphaned vmdk files

I have a pair of vmdk files that had their flat parents deleted. Sucks and I can't get the parents back because this was during the cleanup phase before we were starting some vRanger/vReplicator stuff.

I'm creating a new server and restoring from my backup tapes, but I'd really like to ressurect my server if possible.

The flat files were deleted because they were in a different vm folder on the datastore, and hadn't been modified since 2007. The child vmdks, however, were constantly updated as of the date the files were killed. The child vmdks are also very large in size, which makes me think I have a TON of data saved in there.

I saw this idea where you could create a fake VM, then somehow make it adopt the orphaned files. Well, I am willing to do that, but I also realized that I have the physical box still on the shelf from last year! I have just completed the P-to-V process, and now I have this server re-virtualized on my machine.

Does it make sense to try to get this new "old" VM to try and adopt the orphans? How do I do that from the ESX console? I'm here all weekend, so if anybody is watching this and has any ideas, please hit me up.

- cheers

0 Kudos
2 Replies
adolopo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If it were the other way around and you had the flat and accidentally deleted the meta, I'd say it make complete sense. But if you have the physical machine re-p2v'd already, you're better off with that.

With what you're proposing it's completely possible, but what would you really be gaining.

-D

0 Kudos
shockadelica
Contributor
Contributor

Great points. As you can see I'm kind of grasping at straws on this. Smiley Happy

The driving thought is that the orphaned vmdk files seem to have a ton of data in it. Probably the most current data I can salvage, as my backups are anywhere from .5 to 1.5 days old (due to the timing of the failure). I've seen where people say to just make a blank VM with the same size hd and try to merge them that way. Wondering if this would work too. Also, wondering how I would hex edit vmdk files from the ESX 3.5 console.

Thank you for the reply!

0 Kudos