VMware Cloud Community
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Organising VM's into Folders

Hi Guys,

I have an environment consisting of 4 ESX servers 3.5 configured with HA, attached to a backend SAN device using iSCSI.

As the environment continues to grow, it's becoming more evident that I need to put servers into a deparmental structure for ease of administration.

Can anyone advise of the best way to go about achieving this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You have two ways of doing this - resource Pools or folders - if you have no need to carve out seperate pools of resources for the departemntal groups of Vs than you can use folders if you do want carve up the resources in the cluster than you can use reqource pools -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
okeedokee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the VI Client, go to Inventory/Virtual Machines and Templates. Here you can create any logical grouping of folders/subfolders and drag-and-drop VMs to the folders. Additionally, you can apply permissions on these folders to allow others to power on, access consoles via browser, etc.

Regards

0 Kudos
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But you can't create folders in the Hosts and Cluster View Smiley Sad , that always bugged me.

Joe

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.
0 Kudos