VMware Cloud Community
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Operations Time Out When Entering Maintenance Mode

Since we've updated to Esx version 3.5 we've noticed that when a host server enters maintenance mode there are always a few VM's that will not migrate due to Operation Time Out errors. I'm not sure where the problem is but I have notice that if I cancel the Enter maintenance Mode operation, I cna manually VMotion the VM's off to other host without any issues.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Jason D. Langdon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Upgrade to 2.5.0U3, that should fix the problem

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_vc25u3_rel_notes.html

Virtual Machine Migrations Are Not Recommended When the ESX Server Host Is Entering the Maintenance or Standby Mode

Do not perform virtual machine migrations in fully automated mode off of a host entering maintenance or standby mode, if the VMware HA failover level is violated after the host enters the requested mode. This restriction applies whether strict HA admission control is enabled or not.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Upgrade to 2.5.0U3, that should fix the problem

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_vc25u3_rel_notes.html

Virtual Machine Migrations Are Not Recommended When the ESX Server Host Is Entering the Maintenance or Standby Mode

Do not perform virtual machine migrations in fully automated mode off of a host entering maintenance or standby mode, if the VMware HA failover level is violated after the host enters the requested mode. This restriction applies whether strict HA admission control is enabled or not.

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Now, that doesn't make any sense. I thought the whole purpose of maintenance mode was to automatically migrate running VM's off to another host so that you could perform maintenance work on the host?

Jason D. Langdon

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is the "bug" within HA; DRS does not make the recomendation to move the VM's, thus maintenance mode never happens. That paragraph was taken from the release notes of VC 2.5.0U3