VMware Cloud Community
pburon
Contributor
Contributor

Operating system not found !!

Hi to all,

Following data migration of my vmware ESX3.0 environment from HP EVA storage to EMC storage (6 MV) and then when I boot a virtual machine from EMC environment I get the message : "Operating System not found" however I have the good vmdk disk at the right location.

So I must go back to my EVA storage to restart all my MV.

I do not understand and if someone can help me ?

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you still have access to the vmdk's on the EVA, access one from the console and perform an md5sum. Then compare the md5sum on the target side (EMC) and see what you get.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

You didn't accidentily have a floppy in the virtual disk drive? Or a CDrom in the virtual cdrom?

Treat this as you would a physical machine.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
GBromage
Expert
Expert

If it's a migration from 2.5.x to 3, then comparing MD5 sums of the vmdks won't work. As part of the migration, the files will move to the VMFS3 partition and will be converted to a different format.

Therefore, the md5 hashes will be different.

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If it's a migration from 2.5.x to 3, then comparing

MD5 sums of the vmdks won't work. As part of the

migration, the files will move to the VMFS3 partition

and will be converted to a different format.

Therefore, the md5 hashes will be different.

Excellent information! Well, hopefully it was simply a copy from R1 to R2 and not an upgrade as well.

0 Kudos
pburon
Contributor
Contributor

No I am sure I boot on disk drive

Thanks.

0 Kudos
pburon
Contributor
Contributor

No it's not an upgrade of ESX...it is just a migration of data in ESX3.0 environment from an HP EVA store to EMC storage.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
pburon
Contributor
Contributor

No, I am in version ESX3.0 and I want to migrate all my virtual machines from HP EVA storage to EMC stoarge. That's all.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
pburon
Contributor
Contributor

It works now....I have just make copy manually (Linux copy) from EVA to EMC storage.

By EMC utility it seems there is problem about the data copy (vmdk disk).

So it's fine now.

And thanks for your reply.

Phil....

0 Kudos