VMware Cloud Community
jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Openfiler iSCSI strorage - ESX3.5U4 with VC update 3

Hi All:

I have setup Openfiler v 2.3 with 3 LUNs and have two ESX 3.5U4 servers talk to it via iSCSI

I think I got all the correct settings, however it will not see the iSCSI storage mapped on the iSCSI, where do we go about to troubleshoot this issue ?

Thanks

J

0 Kudos
19 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you check basic things on ESX such as vmkernel, SC, iscsi client firewall?

VMware newbie..

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

www.no-x.org

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

From your esx server, run vmkping agains the iSCSI target ip. Does it succeed? If not, then there is a problem with vmkernel or networking. What about ping? Does it succeed? Have you enabled swIscsiclient in the firewall?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for your replies

yes the vmkping to the iSCSI target address is successful, and I have enabled the software iSCSI from the security profile

what else

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Can you ping to the iSCSI target as well? Meaning, can your service console reach the target also? If yes, what error are you getting? I assume you went into the storage adapters screen, enabled the sw client, and added your target IP in the configuration?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes everything pings (the target)

there is no error, in the storage adapter screen it would just show its enabled, I also specified the IP for the target server (able to ping from VC and from the EST hosts) just not getting any target as it still counted zero target

what logs i might be take a look at what its doing under the hood as it takes an average of 10 minutes each time i scan all HBAs

thx

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

ESX logs to check are /var/log/vmkernel and /var/log/messages.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sounds like linux, 😛

is there a an easy way to export it into windows or VC ?

can you show me the command in the console or SSH to display and capture these logs ?

one other question, because the ESX console screen does not scroll text after one page, I decided to use SSH (putty.exe) to use SU command as root user

but some times certain command will give me bash error "file not found" or "command not found", whats the exact environment that enables me run the command exactly like the way I ran as root user on the ESX console ?

thanks

J

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Instead of running 'su', run 'su -' That will update your environment variables automatically.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You can also connect your vi client directly to the ESX server, instead of to vc, click the administration button, click on the 'System Logs' tab,and then view your logs that way instead of using ssh to go directly to the esx host.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

One last thing is that you really should have your vCenter at least as high as the highest ESX level that it manages. Since you have ESXU4, your vCenter should be U4 as well.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I didnt see much thing happen in the log that resemble to iscsi, but i did notice the time is out of synch (both the ESX hosts and openfiler storage appliance)

will that matter ?

I corrected it and rescanning them again see what happen

0 Kudos
jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

still did not help after corrected the time server, I notice I cannot change from different log file as the drop down menu in the systems log is grayed out

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You did allow the IP/iQN of your ESX vmkernel sw iscsi adapter access in your target configuration, right?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes from the openfiler side I did allow the whole subnet to be able to access the target, on the ESX side I just enabled iSCSI from the security profile

what else if they are not what you meant ?

thanks

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Did you allow the esx initiator access to that LUN you are trying to access?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

worked, I have to let in the IPstorage service console , more later tomorrow

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

So, everything is working now?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
jcck20007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes it worked, it turns out I did not let the Service console of the storage network have access to the target, after I let in, the LUN was available

right away

thx

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Excellent. Don't forget to leave points for helpful / correct posts.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos