VMware Cloud Community
jfields
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Openfiler LUN disappers from ESX host

I have an Openfiler install running in our test environment. It is providing iSCSI storage to two ESX 3.5 boxes (using VMware software initiator). It has been doing this without issue for a while now. I applied the latest ESX patches to one of my boxes (let's call it ESX 1) and rebooted it. After rebooting it, that ESX box (ESX 1) no longer saw the Openfiler LUNs. I double-checked all the settings I could think of against the ESX host (let's call it ESX 2) that can still see the Openfiler LUNs and they are identical. Note that ESX 1 otherwise working well and can see and utilize my production EMC iSCSI LUNs with the ESX software initiator. I have rescanned with the software HBA on ESX 1 about 20 times, but it cannot see the Openfiler LUNs under Configuration -> Storage Adapters. So far I have done the following:

1) Double-checked the security profile settings. They are exactly the same on both ESX boxes. Remember ESX 2 can see the Openfiler LUNs and is using them to host VMs.

2) Pinged the Openfiler box's iSCSI interface from ESX 1's console without problem. Also able to ping ESX 1 from the Openfiler console.

3) Checked all the settings in Configuration -->Storage Adapters -> iSCSI software adapter. They are exactly the same (including the Dynamic Discovery tab) on both ESX 1 and ESX 2, except for their iSCSI names.

4) Rebooted ESX 1 again to remove that as a potential issue. Remember that ESX 1 is working fine with my EMC LUNs, so there is no indication of a general iSCSI issue on the box.

5) Did a quick check of /var/log/vmkernel log on ESX 1, but did not see any relevant errors. I am not well versed on the ESX console logs, so I wasn't entirely sure where and what to look for there.

I am stuck as how to proceed. Please provide guidance. :smileygrin: Thank you.

James

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could remove the initiator, reboot ESX and then add it back with different name. See if you can see the LUNs then.

Message was edited by: Lightbulb Sigh ... Spelling

0 Kudos
jfields
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for suggestion. I tried disabling and enabling and rebooting. I also changed the initator's name and rebooted. It still cannot see the Openfiler LUNs, but two other ESX boxes can get to the Openfiler LUNs fine. The ESX 1 box is doing fine with the EMC LUNs still, just no Openfiler.

0 Kudos
jfields
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay, more details. Over the weekend, I updated ESX 2 (which could connect to Openfiler LUNs). After the update and subsequent reboot, it can no longer see the LUNs at all. I am at a loss, as the ESXi box I have can still see and mount the LUNs through VI client without issue. However, both of my ESX main boxes no longer see Openfiler. Very strange. Is anyone else seeing/experiencing this? Any ideas from the Openfiler users in the community?

0 Kudos