VMware Cloud Community
ghnobile
Contributor
Contributor

Openfiler ESX Storage iscsi and NFS Connection Problems

Hello all,

I have been searching for a solution to my torments for several days now and still have not had any breakthrough.

I have 3 esx servers running all connected to 2 openfiler 2.2 boxes. I am attempting to connect in a 3rd Openfiler to no avail.

I can successfully connect to the openfiler box with nfs and iscsi from a windows server however the ESX servers do not connect.

Are there any limitations to the max number of iscsi target servers you can connect to?

With NFS I see the attempt to connect in to the openfiler with the results of mount point not found? Is the configuration different for a esx server compared to a win box.? Or am I missing something major on the configuration of esx or openfiler?

Oh the esx Versions are 3.02 52542, 3.5.0 64607 3.5.0 82663. Firewall has also ben configured to allow nfs/smb and Rebooted.

Yes that is also one of my projects is to get the esx servers all up to the same version / build.

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jrenton
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have a VMKernel network interface setup as this is required for iSCSI?

Also have you initiated the software iSCSI module in ESX and configured with CHAP authentication?

John

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

As long as the servers can route, you should be ok with mapping the LUN. Do you have the target enabled to accept the IQN's of the ESX servers? For NFS, do you have the servers allowed to access that server? Are you limiting access from certain IP's?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
ghnobile
Contributor
Contributor

The openfiler servers and the esx servers are all on the same subnet and since this is the 3rd openfiler that I am attempting to connect in using iscsi the vmkernel interfaces are also set. CHAP authentication is not enabled I only use ip based rules and yes they are correct. Like I said I can connect in with a windows server in the same subnet.

NFS I finally found the correct path for the mount. Wohoo!! Only to be slammed back down to the floor when i attempted to create a vm on the Volume with a esx error of Invalid Configuration For device "4" it is probably Permissions.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you've got it mounted, then you're pretty much there. As we've said, if the networking gets you there, then it's probably a configuration missing that's keeping the iSCSI from mounting.

Good luck,

-KjB

0 Kudos
ghnobile
Contributor
Contributor

The NFS is mounted and works super slow but works.

The ISCSI is still being stubborn and refuses to connect.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You do have the swISCSIclient enabled in the firewall, right?

-KjB

0 Kudos
ghnobile
Contributor
Contributor

The other 2 ISCSI Connections work just fine 3 esx servers and 2 connected Openfiler iscsi connections it is just the third that is being a pain in the....

0 Kudos