VMware Cloud Community
CBT
Contributor
Contributor

OpenSSH setup on host

I am brand spankin new to VMware so please be patient. I am trying to install the Virtual Machine Management pack in my HP Sim app. The instructions say I need to edit the sshd_config file, How do I do this, there is no command line.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

congrats - now is the easy part - first off to be able to get in you will need to use the VI Client to create regular user that has Shell Access enabled - check out page 214 of - once you have created that user use it to long in via putty and run the command su - and you will be asked for the root password - this elevate you to root user status which will allow you to edit the sshd_config file by doing the following:

Using a text editor vi and nano are two examples - I would suggest nano becaue you have a menu at the bottom of the page - nano -w \etc\ssh\sshd_config will allow you to edit the configuration file - when you have made the change hit ctrl-x which will exit you out of nano but will ask if you want to save the changes - once that is done run service sshd restart and this will restart the ssh service. Once this is done you will be able to login as root via putty - but just a word of warning yhis is not the preferred way because it does reduce your security - preferred method is to create users and then su up to root to maintain an audit trail

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
CBT
Contributor
Contributor

Fantastic! One battle down in the war. Thank you for your help, I had to change some of the path stuff to fit this machine but I was able to stumble through that. Once the HP SIM module is setup I am going to reverse the change to keep secure, It just need the initial setup.

I will be going to school for VMware soon but am quite sure I will hit another wall before then. Thanks again.

0 Kudos