VMware Cloud Community
GBTurpin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One port on ESX 3.5 will only connect at 100BaseT -> READ THIS - ODD! <-

Ok,

I've got an ESX server with about 10 NICs in it. Only of my ports will ONLY connect at 100BaseT... BUT... if I move the virtual switch to ANOTHER physical NIC PORT, it STILL ONLY CONNECTS at 100BaseT

I've changed the switch port, the physical NIC (add in card to on-board, etc.), made a new cable, and NOTHING works.

The drivers are the same for the two on-board NICs, and one of them will go 1000BaseT, but the one attached to this virtual switch will ONLY go at 100BaseT.

This is super odd... Does anyone have a clue as to what would cause this??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Andy66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you verify your physical switch ports are configured to 1GB?

0 Kudos
GBTurpin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Heh. We don't have anything that's not Gig, but we did force the ports in the switch(es) we've tested to 1000BaseT only.

....and then the ESX server would refuse to use the NIC port in question. (...and we did move the Virtual Switch to other physical NIC ports.)

0 Kudos
Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It could be the nic got a problem. It might be faulty (I know that is extremely rare). Have you tried the nic in a non-esx server? It might also be that the supplier sent the wrong card (it happens).

And you are below any maximum for number of nics and ports

0 Kudos
GBTurpin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, that's not the issue... What I'm trying to say is that when we MOVE the VSwitch to ANOTHER NIC, it only connects as 100BaseT.

We've eliminated hardware. Since we are moving the VSwitch to different pieces of hardware, both NIC ports (aka physical cards) and network switches, that's not the problem.

That's why it's so odd.

The problem follows the VSwitch, no matter what the hardware is that it's assigned to.

(I've got 8 NICs in this server and I've moved the VSwitch to 4 different ports, two of which are different hardware .)

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

What is selected in the Network Adapters tab in the vSwitch as the Configured Speed?

Are there any Traffic Shaping settings in the vSwitch (vSwitch and Portgroup level)?

0 Kudos
GBTurpin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm going to need to look...

0 Kudos