VMware Cloud Community
DJRyanJ
Contributor
Contributor

Odd license ... problem?

Hello,

We have a couple of ESX 3.5 servers in a lab environment that I'm working to get set up to do VDI, among other things.

At any rate we bought an enterprise license for them, and after getting that straightened around (purchasing->tech interface issue), I installed the license on our vCenter server's licensing server and pointed both machines at it. At first, everything was ok and reading as such in the Configuration -> Licensed Features tab of each server.

I had to bring the vCenter server offline for a while because I was migrating it to a VM, and in the process I jiggered (that's a highly technical term) something on one of the ESX boxes and it lost it's licensing. Now, after I have the license server back online and working fine (tested with ssh <ip> -p 27000 from the ESX with a problem), it still shows as being "unlicensed" in Config -> Licensed Features. It also shows as such under Administration -> Licenses, but the license server is reporting that it still has 2 CPU licenses available for use, but NO licenses for things like vMotion.

I'm very confused here; any light anyone could shed would be appreciated. Does the license server need to be "reset" somehow or have it's licenses released from the "old" server?

I've attached some screen shots to shed some light on what I'm seeing.

Thanks.

Ryan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DJRyanJ
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, I forgot to mention that after repointing the "lost" server at the license server, the "xx days evaluation" disappeared from the status, so at least that's a good thing. Also, it seems that vMotion is allowed (I tried part of it, didn't complete based on my current network) so it's like it's finding at least SOME of the licenses.

Ryan

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Try the steps below and see if this works.

1) Re read the license file from the License server , you can do that by invoking the License manager utility from programs menu under VMware Menu.

2) Go to the ESX server which is not taking the license and delete /etc/vmware/license.cfg file.

Now go to the ESX server license tab and again point that to the License server , then make it licensed.

Thanks,

samir

P.S : Please consider awarding points if you think the answer is helpful

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

On the VM with the license server, first restart the license server process. Then go into the VMware License Server Tools and see if there is a configuration file in use. If not, create one. Also use the Start/Stop/Reread Tab to stop and start the license server then use Server Status to see if you have any licenses.

Sounds like your licenses are not loaded OR your SC can not reach the License Server VM, perhaps they are not on the same network (they should be).

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
DJRyanJ
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thank you both for your replies. Finally getting back into the lab today after a week off, I tried both of these things and neither had any effect.

I'll keep trying, but any other suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Ryan

0 Kudos
DJRyanJ
Contributor
Contributor

Figured it out.

For some reason, even though the ESX host was pointing to the licensing server, it didn't switch over to "licensed". When I simply went into the "Edit..." menu of the "ESX Server Edition" in Configuration->Licensed Features, and clicked on "ESX Server Standard" and voila. Instant licensing.

All I can say is... weird.

Thanks for the help guys.

0 Kudos