VMware Cloud Community
roos450
Contributor
Contributor

OPNET capture errors on ESX host

Looking for help getting OPNET capture started on ESX host. With the agent loaded on the ESX host, when I try to start a capture from the OPNET Capture Manager, I get the message "OPNET Capture Agent is not running"...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
markorcutt
Contributor
Contributor

I hope you got your capture going before now.

You have to install the OPNET agetn on the host machine. There is currently no OPNET agent that runs on the hypervisor. You also need to install the host machine OS type and version OPNET agent, i.e. on a MS Win XP you need to install the correct version Windows OPNET Agent.

Checking your Host:

If you have the agent installed is it running? You check for the service on WIndows under the services or processes. Under Services look for "OPNET Application Capture Agent." If the GUI was used during the install, the agent will install in autostart and start...NO REBOOT is necessary! Under processes look for op_capture_server.exe. You can also check for the listener port at the capture agent port, default is TCP 27401. Netstat or try telneting to the listener.

Checking your connectivity from the console to the VM host:

Check that your console can indeed reach the VM host. Ping it or remote into the VM host from the console. If any firewalls are involved between the console and the VM host you need to open the OPNET Capture Listener TCP port. The Console intiates the connection.

Good luck

0 Kudos