VMware Cloud Community
matthew_commers
Contributor
Contributor

OOOps! I feel dumb now ...

Oops! I feel dumb now... This happened in my development enviroment and I had setup my ESX under an evaluation, and then got a VC license ... I installed the VC inside a VM... Well, I just had to powerdown that vm for unexpected reasons.. I tried starting it via the vmware-cmd and it tells me now i don't have enough licenses (probably because it can't reach the license server which was installed in the VC vm... yes, i know, my mistake)...

Any ideas on how i can get this VM running my VC back up? I now get the error there are not enough licences to perform that operation (when starting the VM)...

Thanks

matt

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Not unless you can use converter to move that VM off to a stand alone server and run it from there.

Now you see part of the reason why running VC in a VM is not the best of ideas.... There will be others later like we have found, but you can make your own assessment.

We moved to a physical host for VC for many reasons, and I investigated VC in a VM for months... and physical host makes so much better sense. I tried it many many many ways.. and physical won out.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you are using ESX 3.5 you should be able to set it back to evaluation mode to get it started provided the evaluation mode has not expired.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
mattinator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you login to ESX host using the VI client and try to start the virtual center server it should start ... I have been in a similar situation (I have my VC server in a VM) and have had to power down both of my ESX servers due to power problems. I had to start everything up from scratch and I wouldn't say the ESX hosts were very happy with me but I was able to start to the VC server from the VI client (it was very slow on booting) ... have you tried this?

0 Kudos
matthew_commers
Contributor
Contributor

i had used vc to change it from eval mode... any idea how I can put it in eval mode from ESX console?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

i had used vc to change it from eval mode... any idea how I can put it in eval mode from ESX console?

Under configuration click on the licensed features tab, then edit license source. In 3.5 you have several options available one which is the evaluation mode.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
mattinator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think if you remove the license server information so it doesn't look for one that would do it. You could also go out to VMware licensing website and relicense the file as stand-alone (to get file) and license it that way until you can the VC server running and then switch the ESX box back to the license server.

0 Kudos