scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OES2 SP1 CPU usage

Before I upgraded to OES2 SP1 (from plain OES2 Linux) the CPU of the VM (on ESX 3.5.3) could be 100 MHz idle

Now, after update of the VM Tools (which show as Out of date, no idea why) & all updates to OES2 SP1 via Yast Online Update I have the VM idle CPU at ~ 1200 MHz

I would not call it improvement! I would expect it to be "fault" of the OES2, but maybe somebody here also has an idea how to cure it

Thanks

Seb

0 Kudos
4 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Seems that the SP1 upgrade made some weird thing. I would look at the disk driver (maybe linux is not using the right one), including changing it on the Edit Settings from LSI to Bus or vice-versa.

Is your VM SMP or uniprocessor? Is your kernel SMP/uniprocessor depending the case?

Hope this helps

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310

Technical Support Engineer

Linux Server Senior Administrator

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, but what disk driver would have to do with CPU?

It is (as it was LSI)

VM configured with single CPU.

Linux plone 2.6.16.60-0.21-default #1 Tue May 6 12:41:02 UTC 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Seb

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

If you have disk contention (i.e. you don't have DMA enabled by the driver) you certainly will have a high cpu load.

Check on the guest using lspci and lsmod if you have things loaded ok.

After that, if you suddenly had the tools out of date, maybe your VM vmotioned to other ESX that have different build than other - this would cause this behavior and maybe the reason of your cpu load.

I say to check disk access because in most of times slow performance is caused by this.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310

Technical Support Engineer

Linux Server Senior Administrator

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It turned out that I reinstalled ... OLD tools. Once I get the right tools (no punt intended) for the version of ESX all went back to normal...

Seb

0 Kudos