VMware Cloud Community
Sp0cky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nothing but problems, now "failed to resolve shortname".

I set up 2 esx servers and a vcserver... I can resolve all names on my vcserver just fine. Both ESX servers are pointed to the DNS server yet they can't resolve each other from the service console. Shouldn't they be able to? AND I cant enable HA because I am getting the error in the screen shot. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to have a host file too? If so how do I enter that?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

From each respective SC do the following

cat /etc/resolv.conf on both SC (Output should be the same)

# hostname (result should be FQDN of your ESX host)

dig @x.x.x.x whatever.localdomain.com (Where x.x.x.x is the IP of your primary DNS server, if the query fails check UDP 53 access from ESX host to DNS server, or that the record is correct)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, they should be able to resolve each other from the service console and you should not need a host file. In the Configuration, Networking section click Properties... on each of the vSwitches that has either a Service Console and/or VMkernel port. The goto Servuce Console and/or VMKernel, Edit... , Edit... DNS Configuration and verify that everything there is completed correctly. You should have all of the fields filled in similar to the screenshot. Once you have this configured you'll need to restart the system and then you should be able to resolve servers by both their "short" (i.e. esx-1) and "long" (esx-1.m6ci.com) names...

4987_4987.png

Sp0cky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THANKS MAN. This is exactly as I have it.. yet at the service cosole, both servers are DNS stupid except for their own names..

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you do an nslookup from the service console do you get any name resolution? Does the DNS server IP address show up correctly at the start of the query? Can you ping both of the DNS servers from the service console?

Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

From each respective SC do the following

cat /etc/resolv.conf on both SC (Output should be the same)

# hostname (result should be FQDN of your ESX host)

dig @x.x.x.x whatever.localdomain.com (Where x.x.x.x is the IP of your primary DNS server, if the query fails check UDP 53 access from ESX host to DNS server, or that the record is correct)

0 Kudos