VMware Cloud Community
toob
Contributor
Contributor

Not enough licenses

Hi all. Just started new contract, their dev esx server has had some issues, chief amongst these being that the vms do not start. (and somenetowrking issues but I think I've got those sorted)

Checking the host (its not managed by VC) its pointing to a local lic file but ESX itself is listed as unlicensed and the 'edit' section is greyed out.

I have checked the license file out, from it I beleive they are licensed for 14 cpus and its a host license. Server is quad dual core so I have disabled HT to leave it with 8 cores. Bounced box.

I've readded the licence file, 'edit' section for esx is now available but when I change it from unlicensed to standard, it tells me there are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation.

Cannot put it back into eval mode as it comes back with 'the license server is not available'- from what I've been told, its licensed on the host.

I'd like to resolve this as I plan to build this into a proper cluster for dev use. Thinking they may need to get a new license for this.

Anyone able to give me any pointers on how I can get the host and vm's up and running?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well first, I would probably double check with VMware and get a hold of your local account manager and see what the deal is, verify they're either licensed, was licensed, etc. See if you can that information, if for whatever reason they do need a new license and you can not wait until the purchase has been made. You can try to install a new Eval installation, since the VMs are powered off, you're not affecting the systems, depending on where they're living local storage (may need to migrate them off to external or NFS storage) or SAN (you can just leave them alone, but make sure you ESX Servers have been disconnected from the SAN fabric as you can blow away all LUNs seen by the installer), you should be able to just get a new eval for the time being. Once installed, you should be able to get them running and you'll have to 60days to get the new/old licenses.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

First thing VMware licenses by physical CPU not core or HT - so you can renable HT - even with this configuration you would only be using to CPUs - Also make sure the LIC file is for a standalone host and not for a licensing server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
toob
Contributor
Contributor

Talking to the PM and getting VMWare a/c manager on the phone is the next port of call - hoping to sort that out tomorrow...

And I'm leaning towards reinstalling esx once I have this nasty old san they've given me up and running Smiley Happy

Cheers

0 Kudos
toob
Contributor
Contributor

I've checked up on the licensing for this server and it is licensed with 2 packages of 2 cpus so 4 cpus licensed in total.

The server has 4 Dual Core processors so this should work.

I've downloaded a new.copy of the licence.

However, running the 'Report Summary' shows the server has 8 cpus not 4.

I've removed a pair of processors, the 'report summary' now shows 4 cpus and I am able to license it. (Licensed Features shows its licensed for 2 cpu's, Config shows 2 cpus, 4 logical cores.)

Putting the procs back in, I'm back to the original scenario.

Something odd going on. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

goes back to my earlier comment - for licensing looks at physical cpus - the report summary looks at cores - a quad cpu dual core esx host will use 4 licenses and show 8 cpus while a quad cpu quad core esx host will use the 4 licenses but present 16 cpus in the summary page-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
toob
Contributor
Contributor

Like I said, I'm licensed for 2 x 2cpus. So 4 sockets.

So what further can I do to investigate why the license isn't working with the 4 cpus in there?

0 Kudos