kolcraft
Contributor
Contributor

Noob Question about Disk Space

Hi, I'm new to virtualization and I've been doing some testing with ESX 3.X (the latest downloadable). My question is, when I install ESX 3.X, I should consume all the storage, correct? I'm assuming, otherwise my VMs won't be able to utilize the storage that ESX didn't consume.

Second, if I install a VM and I assign 10 GB for it, what are my options if I want to increase the amount of storage later on down the road? Take for instance Netware, I know how to resize a volume but if the VM doesn't have any more space available, what do I do?

Third, what is the best practice when assigning storage to VMs?

Sorry for all the q's but what better place to ask then the experts in the forum.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Since you are new, I wouldn't change any settings, you won't understand the impact of making changes to something you haven't had prior knowledge of.

Just put the CD in, blow away whatever configuration, and use RAID 5 ACROSS ALL your drives, and let it do it's thing.

Once you are comfortable with the settings and how it works \*THEN* you can make changes to the system, but for now, just keep the defaults and get used to how it works, even if you \*THINK* you know linux, this isn't anything like it.. and it's like nothing else you will EVER use.

A VM can be resized easily utilizing vmkfstools within ESX, from a ssh prompt. It's a little bit of learning, but its a really easy tool to use. You can expand volumes, but not shrink (at least not supported). VM Ware converter is what you use to shrink volumes (and expand to).

0 Kudos
kolcraft
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks RParker. Currently this is in my lab and before production deployment, I try to become very familar with the software and try any and all scenarios I may incounter. As everyone knows, its best to learn in the lab then when in production Smiley Happy

Thanks for all your info!

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I figured as much, but it's so quick and easy to install, you can see how VM Ware recommends setup, play around with the settings and configuration, and see how they do it. Then you can go back modify the setup, and start over, and see the impact, but it's much easier to see how the default setup is done first, then go from there.

0 Kudos