VMware Cloud Community
christiansen
Contributor
Contributor

No vm-console after changing FQDN

I have a question, i searched in the kb but didn't find any hint ...

After i have changed on my ESX3.0.1 the FQDN i get after opening the console on all vm the following error:

"Error connecting: Host address lookup for server ABCD failed: The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for"

I changed the entry on DNS, rebooted the ESX, changed hosts, sysconfig/network ... - does anybody have an idea?

regards

Mark

0 Kudos
4 Replies
c_henry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Could be the ESX SSL certificate. When you installed ESX it would generate the certificate based on the hostname you supplied. Now you've changed the hostname the certificate will have the wrong details. When connecting to the host using the VI client, are you connecting using the short name or the FQDN?

I'm making some assumptions here:

1. Your connecting to the VMs through using the VI client.

2. Your FQDN is correct for your IP.

3. The DNS entry for your ESX host is correct.

4. The /etc/hosts file is correct.

I've not seen this error before, so hope this helps.

Regards,

c_henry

0 Kudos
DFATAnt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have a hosts file on your virtualcenter server with short name for the ESX server?

0 Kudos
christiansen
Contributor
Contributor

very good tips ...

@ c_henry: exactly, i'm connecting to esx through vi-client always with IP-Address - when i'm connecting with FQDN i get an error .... - this is an DNS problem, i'll ask my colleague for DNS Smiley Wink

@ DFATAnt: right, when i'm editing my hosts-file with the FQDN, it works.

Thanks a lot to you both!

Mark

0 Kudos
AlexPT
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue.

In addition to checking your ESX host(s):

/etc/hosts

and

/etc/sysconfig/network

for political correctness, also check (and this way my issue) your VC server and your local (PC) hosts file or DNS resolution mechanism. In my case all was well on the VC server but I could not gain console access from my PC (on another subnet, using hosts local file). Once I had entered the correct entries, duh, all was well.

0 Kudos