VMware Cloud Community
nasterizer
Contributor
Contributor

No iSCSI target found in ESX 3.5

Basically I have a HP DL380 G4 running RHEL 5.2 with an OpenFiler RPM for the iSCSI target connecting through my Server Farm LAN to a HP BL480c blade enclosure. I have enabled security on ESX and added the iSCSI target machine but I still cant see any targets. The LUN sizes are 1.5 and 1.2 TB. Its really driving me crazy and I havent found any good documents in terms of troubleshooting. Anyone got any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If you are using the software initiator you will have to create a vmkernel port and service console port that can access your iSCSI target - you need to do this in addiiton to opening the iSCSI port 3260 on the service console

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
nasterizer
Contributor
Contributor

Your right but that I had already done that. I created a seperate switch for the vkernel. everything is pingable from each other. What I was thinking right now is should there be a direct connection between both machines instead of using my production LAN for iSCSI?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

so you are able to ping your iscsi target with vmkping and ping form the service console and you have opened the iSCSI port through the firewall - these typically are the probline that prevent connecting to iSCSI targets - best practice in IP Storage (NAS/iSCSI) networking is to place on an isolated network and not share it with anything -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
nasterizer
Contributor
Contributor

Heres an update of what I have done. I configured a second port on my blade enclosure for the specific blade that I need to connect to iSCSI and connected that directly to my iSCSI server. These NIC's are Gigabit. Now connectivity was correct and dedicated. The problem I found was with the iSCSI arget naming convention which had been changed from the default of ESX. Once corrected, I was able to see the LUN through ESX. Now when I created a storage location from that LUN onto ESX and began to deploy a template to it, IT WAS SLOOOW. It took me about 2 hours to clone a 25GB XP Image. I was surprised since the connectivity was point to point.

Any Clues?

0 Kudos