VMware Cloud Community
PhilipOshea
Contributor
Contributor

No guest OS heartbeats are being recevied.

hi,

We have 3 ESX 3.5U3 in Cluster, backend is bladecenter with IBM SAN. We can do Vmotion no problems, but each time we are trying to do that we recevice warning:

" No guest OS heartbeats are being recevied.Either the guest OS is not responding or Vmware tools is not configured properly"

Every 5 minutes I am able to do migration without that warning but then migrating back or to next ESX in cluster brings that warning again.

We did check eveyting, names on Vswitches, vmkpings, even reinstalled Vmware tools, time synchornization between host and vmachines.

I did not see that problem in 3.5U2 ?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

this message is safe to ignore

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003805

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

As Troy stated, this is not an issue. Since the heartbeat is received through the vmware tools, they just haven't had enough time (either from a restart, or a vmotion) to stabilize and talk back to ESX/VC. That's why waiting a little bit of time will relieve that error message, although it shouldn't take 5 minutes. You should be able to perform some ping tests and get a response back from the vm to know it's available.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
PhilipOshea
Contributor
Contributor

well, I did not see that issue in 3.5u2, nothing change on the config except the esx version. I do not see any problems with Vmotion, it just one more pop up to be clicked.

When I do vmtion I will only loose one ping as expected so it is working properly.

I logged the call with Vmware support.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Here's something that others may have mentioned in the past, but I only recently had to deal with.

On one of my LUNs, I was having some contention, and the heartbeats on the guests that were on that LUN would often get "lost".

Kind of a PITA, but once I got the storage side of things fixed, it has been an issue.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Please consider awarding points if this post was helpful or correct

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos