VMware Cloud Community
nolamike
Contributor
Contributor

No device appears when adding a second datastore to a SCSI array

I have a Dell PE2900 server with a RAID 5 SCSI array of 600 GB. (There is also a 136 GB RAID 1 array that is fully allocaed) I added a datastore of 200 GB. According to the documentation I should be able to go to configuration, storage, add storage and then select the device and select USE FREE SPACE to create the next datastore. HOwever, when the datastore wizard runs, no device is displayed.???

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ejward
Expert
Expert

I think you need to go into Configuration then Storage Adapters and Rescan first.

0 Kudos
nolamike
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I did that. I even restarted the server, but it's still blank. FYI: This is ESX 3.5

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you go in with gparted or fdisk, and create a partition out of the empty space, then you can create a datastore out of it. Without that, the empty space can not be used, as far as I know.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
nolamike
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I can tell, the VM Client interface simply does not work as described in the ESX Server 3.5 administration guide where it shows a screen shot of the add storage wizard with an option to use the unused portion of the disk for the new datastore. When I ran add storage wizard the first time, I saw the 680 GB RAID5 drive and selected to use only 200 GB. According to the documentation I should have seen the remaining disk available for additional datastores. It does not appear. The additional datastores must be created manually from the service console. VMWARE and Dell tech support confirmed the following solution:

From the service console use fdisk /dev/sdb to create new partitions (in my case partitions 2 and 3 as primaries, 4 as extended, then 5,6,7 and 8.)

Then vmkfstools -C vmfs3 -b 4M /vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba1/:1/:0/:2 (then repeat with :3 thru :8, skipping 4) (Not sure why they selected 4M block size, none of these partitions are over 256GB)

then vmkfstools -V

Then in the VM Client after rescanning from configuration/storage adapters, the new datastores already appear in the storage window and can be renamed as needed.

0 Kudos