VMware Cloud Community
rajOnVMware
Contributor
Contributor

No datastore is displaying for guest OS

This is my First installation of ESX 3.5 on IBM x3250 machine.

I installed the ESX smoothly. But after installation when machine rebooted. it again and again crashes and rebooting again.

After 5-6 attempts is boot fine.Now server is up and running.But I am in always panic that "is it come up if will reboot again in future."

Then I tried to install SLES10 as guest server.Every is going fine.

But at time of datastore selection, nothing is displaying in list. I checked /vmfs/volumes directory.But it is empty. What may be the probs.

Please.......... help me out.

Is this is any installation issue or machine hardware issue.

attached is datastore page(which has nothing to select)

Thanks in advance!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

Have you created a VMFS3 datastore already?

What kind of storage do you use?

Do you use the VCenter client or the web access?

If you use the VCenter Client mark the ESX server in question, click on the configuration tab and select "Storage". Can you see a datastore? If not you can create one from there.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
rajOnVMware
Contributor
Contributor

No i don't think that I created any datastore earlier. Actually this is my first installation, so I installed it according installation guide.

I am using VWClient to launch ESX GUI. I went Configuration, there is link for "click here to create a datastore". I cliked here, then selects Disk/LNU as storage type.But it doesn't showing any thing in available list of storage.

Some of engg. I consult. they r telling It is some Staorage type issues. They told ESX is not supporting to data storage type. I don't what they means.But for know I m blocked. Please help me. Is this issue with machine type.

I am facing same issue with DELL OPTIPLEX 745 MACHINE(2GB).

Thanks

raj

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have still unpartitioned space available on your hard disks?

Please let me know what kind of staorage you want to use and how it is connected.

Start reading here: http://pubs.vmware.com/vi35/server_config/sc_storage.10.1.html

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos