VMware Cloud Community
ErMaC1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Nic Teaming load balancing policy...

So I read the ESX Server Configuration manual regarding the load balancing policy. I decided that load balancing by IP hash, as I understood it, would give the best load balancing. From what I understand:

Port ID based: all traffic from one VM will go out from one uplink.

IP hash based: traffic from one source IP to a destination IP goes out the same uplink

Mac hash based: traffic from one MAC address goes through the same uplink.

This sounded to me like IP-based would be the best. But that doesn't appear to be the case. I was using port-based before, and once I switch to IP-based, the traffic on my secondary nics dropped to 0. What gives? Has anyone done testing between all three types to determine under what loads which balancing method is best?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Quotient
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just so we're all clear on the facts... Smiley Wink

The load-balancing policy (frame distribution) can be any of the three options (MAC, IP or Port) to effectively achieve the same outcome, provided EtherChannel is used.

MAC based solutions balance according to the L2 address.

IP based solutions balance according to the L3 address.

Port based solutions balance according to the L4 address.

When using port-based (L4) on the ESX host, on even one pSwitch and without EtherChannel, it could appear that you are achieving bi-directional load-balancing because the outbound traffic is sent to the same port that it originated on (note the wording of the option).

HOWEVER, during a failover the solution will DIE without EtherChannel, with recovery taking several seconds to complete. Disabling STP or using a portfast policy will minimise this but a significant delay will still be observed. This might be acceptable in some situations.

In all configurations, including those with and without EtherChannel, the maximum bandwidth available between any[b]two[/b]PHYSICAL hosts is the maximum bandwidth of[b]one[/b]pNIC.

When attempting to achieve switch redundancy you should use beacon probing and your choice of originating virtual port ID or explicit failover order. Just expect long delays during failover as the pSwitch or pSwitches relearn their frame distribution topology.

When you have highly available switch complexes, including modular and stackable switch clusters, that provide similar or better redundancy as two separate physical switches, you can take advantage of the benefits of EtherChannel / IEEE 802.3ad STATIC Link Aggregation Groups (LAGs).

VMware's implementation of IEEE 802.3ad allows for the distribution of packets according to the following algorithms: src-port (L4), src-dst-mac (L2) & src-dst-ip (L3).

EtherChannel can only be used to achieve equal distibution of packets across all ports if the portgroup contains 2, 4 or 8 ports. All other combinations, i.e. 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7, will result in uneven distribution of packets.

Last point is just a matter of semantics... Smiley Happy

You can EtherChannel between two switches. This is what it was primarily designed for. You cannot however, connect more than two devices together in any IEEE 802.3ad compliant solution. Therefore, a solution where two pSwitches are configured to use EtherChannel when connected to a single ESX vSwitch is not possible.

Hope this helps,

Ben

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
soleblazer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=445938&#445938

Are you looking at inbound ? Without etherchannel only outbound traffic will be load balanced, but that thread should answer your questions.

0 Kudos
ErMaC1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From talking with a VMWare technical rep they said we don't need to configure anything on the switches and we would get load balancing.

We have a pair of Cata 2960G's and each ESX Host is connected to both for failover. When I use port-based balancing, I'm seeing load balance across both nics for both inbound and outbound[/b], but when I select the other two I see no balancing on either.

Note we didn't configure any sort of etherchannel or anything on those switches, because as far as I know you cannot etherchannel between two switches, correct?

0 Kudos
soleblazer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yep, no etherchannel between switches.

The only way (from what I have gathered) to load balance inbound is with etherchannel, you can tweak outbound load balancing by adjusting the options you have used. I personally have left to the default and have seen very good performance.

0 Kudos
Quotient
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just so we're all clear on the facts... Smiley Wink

The load-balancing policy (frame distribution) can be any of the three options (MAC, IP or Port) to effectively achieve the same outcome, provided EtherChannel is used.

MAC based solutions balance according to the L2 address.

IP based solutions balance according to the L3 address.

When using port-based (L4) on the ESX host, on even one pSwitch and without EtherChannel, it could appear that you are achieving bi-directional load-balancing because the outbound traffic is sent to the same port that it originated on (note the wording of the option).

HOWEVER, during a failover the solution will DIE without EtherChannel, with recovery taking several seconds to complete. Disabling STP or using a portfast policy will minimise this but a significant delay will still be observed. This might be acceptable in some situations.

In all configurations, including those with and without EtherChannel, the maximum bandwidth available between any[b]two[/b]PHYSICAL hosts is the maximum bandwidth of[b]one[/b]pNIC.

When attempting to achieve switch redundancy you should use beacon probing and your choice of originating virtual port ID or explicit failover order. Just expect long delays during failover as the pSwitch or pSwitches relearn their frame distribution topology.

When you have highly available switch complexes, including modular and stackable switch clusters, that provide similar or better redundancy as two separate physical switches, you can take advantage of the benefits of EtherChannel / IEEE 802.3ad STATIC Link Aggregation Groups (LAGs).

VMware's implementation of IEEE 802.3ad allows for the distribution of packets according to the following algorithms: src-port (L4), src-dst-mac (L2) & src-dst-ip (L3).

EtherChannel can only be used to achieve equal distibution of packets across all ports if the portgroup contains 2, 4 or 8 ports. All other combinations, i.e. 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7, will result in uneven distribution of packets.

Last point is just a matter of semantics... Smiley Happy

You can EtherChannel between two switches. This is what it was primarily designed for. You cannot however, connect more than two devices together in any IEEE 802.3ad compliant solution. Therefore, a solution where two pSwitches are configured to use EtherChannel when connected to a single ESX vSwitch is not possible.

Hope this helps,

Ben

0 Kudos
ErMaC1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well I guess we're sticking to the port-based one since we can't enable Etherchannel in our current setup. That's fine, so far the traffic's been normal enough and we're really only doing it for redundancy purposes. A few seconds of downtime (I counted 1 or 2 pings during our testing) is acceptable for us.

0 Kudos
vmwareuser111
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This thread is informative. Can switch redundancy be obtained with IP load balancing?

0 Kudos
howie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is NOT true. The "port" in Port based LB refers to the virtual switch port, not the L4 port.

I also wanted to point out that a user should only use IP based LB \_if_ EtherChannel or equivalent is configured on the physical switch.

Also, VMware does not really recommend EtherChannel in ESX3.x in general, as it does not really buy anything in most configurations.

-howie

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I somewhat understand the Load Balacning Policies for a vSwitch and for us L4 port based load balancing will be what we generally use however; is there any way to increase the bandwidth to more than one NICs worth?

Here is the physical layout:

vSwitch in a load balanced configuration (2 NICs)

Physical NIC1 goes to trunk port on Cisco SwitchA

Physical NIC2 goes to trunk port on Cisco SwitchB

We have a Cisco team so I only have a rudimentry knowleged of the physical switch setup but as I understand it, even if you Ether Channel the 2 physical switch ports, you will still have a spanning tree problem because of the loop that is created between the 3 switches.

Am I wrong....and (in this HA switch configuration) is there any way to combine the bandwidth of 2 phycical NICs so that a virtual Machine is utilizing both cards?

0 Kudos
MikeAvery
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If those two pNics are connected to a single pSwitch, yes.

If those pNics are each connected to a seperate pSwitch, you will be able to the bandwidth of both pNics to the vSwitchPort, with a caveat: you cannot exceed the bandwidth of one pNic between the two MACs (1:1). You can use the combined bandwidth for 1:N

-Three machines (A,B,C)try to push a large files to one VM(M) that is configured as you describe above.

Using Ip-hash for load balancing, M<-->A will never exceed bandwidth of 1 pNic

Using Ip-hash for load balancing, M<-->A,B,C combined can achieve the aggregate bandwidth of both pNics

If you use Etherchannel on the pSwitch establish a match between pSwitch and vSwitch load balancing policy, you can use all bandwidth for M<-->A, so long as both pNics are on the same switch.

Hope this helps

Message was edited by:

MikeAvery

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Actually Mike, you're mostly right, but not entirely.

Etherchannel (or, 802.3ad static) provides load balancing for multiple flows. A flow is defined as a traffic stream with the same SRC and DST. With Etherchannel, a single flow will always take a single path, regardless of the # of outbound network interfaces. There is no load balancing or load aggregation of a single flow.

The benefit of etherchannel is realized with multiple flows. Each unique pairing of SRC / DST streams can be handed off to their own outbound interface for transmission onto the network.

(Warning: oversimplifying the following for illustration, but 802.3ad hash mechanism isn't this cut-and-dry):

For example, take an ESX server with 3 outbound NICs for VMs connected to a Cisco switch with Etherchannel enabled. Our virtual machine is called VM. If VM talks to HostA on the network, it will use physical NIC #1. If VM talks to HostB, it will use physical NIC #2. If it talks to HostC, it will use physical NIC #3. This way, a single VM can balance its outbound traffic across different physical NICs when talking to different hosts, but it will only ever use one path when talking to an individual host.

As more VMs are added to ESX and there are more destinations for those VMs to talk to, the more the flows get "shared" amongst the outbound physical NICs.

Etherchannel was never designed to "aggregate" traffic for a single flow because this would have resulted in out-of-order packet delivery, ultimately grinding such upper layer protocols like TCP/IP down to a fraction of available bandwidth.

Paul

0 Kudos
MikeAvery
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think we agree Paul! Maybe you can answer a question for me if you're around?

I have 4 pNics, with two connecting to separate Cisco switches.

I currently have a half-baked implementation:

All 4 pNics in one vSwitch using port groups, including console, vmkernel and vmnet. The pSwitches are configured as dot1q trunk ports.

I'm looking to use Etherchannel and configure a compatible load balancing policy. Must I use a different vSwitch for for each channeled pair? I can see having to manually "handle" spreading out the port group assignment among virtual machines. Perhaps I am better to put on channeled pair in standby mode within the one vSwitch?

Any suggestions would be great.

Mike

Message was edited by:

MikeAvery

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Honestly, Mike, I think leaving Etherchannel \*off* would be best in this scenario. Just keep the one vSwitch and rely on the default port-based load balancing teaming method across the 4 pNics. This way, you should see the best distribution of traffic across all interfaces while retaining the obvious benefit of failover.

Paul

0 Kudos
MikeAvery
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You're welcome, Mike. As 'howie' says (above), Etherchannel doesn't always buy better performance or reliability. In your split pSwitch config, it doesn't make much sense.

Paul

0 Kudos
MikeAvery
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In the end, here is what I'm using:

One Etherchannel team (2 pNics) with IP based hash for iSCSI traffic.

One team (No Etherchannel) in a split pSwitch configuration using PortID based load balancing for VM network access.

Mike

0 Kudos
emyrold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

In the end, here is what I'm using:

One Etherchannel team (2 pNics) with IP based hash for iSCSI traffic.

One team (No Etherchannel) in a split pSwitch configuration using PortID based load balancing for VM network access.

Mike

On your Etherchannel team (2 pNIC's) are they both active physically in the ESX Team, no standby's?

Then from the iSCSI point the VMkernel Port IP address has one path to SPA and one path to SPB on your iSCSI array?

Thanks,

-Erik

0 Kudos
eric_heilig
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I appreciate the time you've taken to explain this. Your examples in the various threads I have read have really helpled out.

Cheers!

Eric

0 Kudos
newguy0611
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi yall... I know it's been a while since no one posts here, but... I'm getting desperate here...

What happens is that I have 2 server with bonding configured... What happens is: When I try to connect these 2 servers (both using bond on the 192.168.0.0./16 network - and crossover cables plugled in), it works fine... BUT, I don't need to connect them... What I need is to make sure both of them can connect to a virtualized server on ESX 4.1... And I don't know how to do this... Can tou guys give me a hand?

I've already installed vmware esx4.1... Installed red hat 5.5 on it... Have access and stuff... Connected the cables... But now I don't know what to do... Like, how do I create the NIC teamming?

And after that, what am I suppose to do?

0 Kudos