VMware Cloud Community
cyriltam
Contributor
Contributor

Nic Teaming Problem

Hi all

I have 2 nic cards for teaming, when i do it, I found that the 2 nic card got ip is difference

One is 192.168.10.16-192.168.10.16(VLAN 55)

ANother is 192.168.10.1-192.168.10.254 (VLAN 55)

is that any problems here in virtual switch or physical switch? Or it suppose to be difference?

If it is incorrect setting, is there in physical switch or virtual switch or port group?

Many thx

0 Kudos
3 Replies
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How are your NIC setup? If you can post a screenshot, that would be most helpful.

To get teaming you need to add both physical adapaters to a single vSwitch, and then under the vSwitch properties you can configure Nic Teaming

-----

Mark Atherton

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
avlieshout
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you use a trunk port on your physical switch?

If yes, check that the configuration of both ports are the same.

If boths nics are attached to different switches also check the configuration of your up-stream/distribution switch. Is there any VLAN filter active?

If all is fine you should be ok.

I think the nic learns the adresses from packages that come-in on the interface. So there can besome differences I think.

Don't know this for sure however.

I you want to make sure both links are oke just put up a vm and just assign one physical nic to the vswitch and check connectivity to the default gateway.

Repeat the test with the other physical nic attached to the vswitch.

Hope this helps.

Arnim van Lieshout

Arnim van Lieshout Blogging: http://www.van-lieshout.com Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avlieshout If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
MitchHP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From my experience, the address ranges shown in the NIC configuration tab may be used to identify which NIC is connected to which VLAN but all other configurations on the switches in background have to be compared. The displayed information is learned by the traffic which flows over the adapter and does not always work correctly or show all VLANs and correct address ranges on the interfaces.

I think your configuration is fine.

0 Kudos