VMware Cloud Community
Acara
Contributor
Contributor

Newly installed 3.5 upd2 with the expresspatch LUN/Datastore issue

Brief history:

I installed a new ESX3.5upd2 with the build that required patching. I did patch it. No VM's built yet either. The ESX host is Fibre attached to a NETAPP FAS2050. Our Virtual Center server 2.1 has not been upgraded yet to see the 3.5 and I am using Command Line & VI client only.

I have presented a LUN to the ESX host and it sees it with the capacity I expect. Then I go to add a datastore and select the LUN. The VI Client shows the right capacity (3.42tb) but shows a 2/3s decline in available space. (1.42tb).

I have know idea what I have missed here. I am a VCP in 2.5 - all our production esx host are 2.5.3s and this is the first time I have setup a VI3*.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks,

Kim

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately, this is correct. The largest single LUN size is 2 TB. If you try to add a LUN that is larger than 2 TB, then your usable space will be the size over 2 TB. You will have to either split your 3.4 TB LUN into smaller chunks, which will yield better performance than a single large LUN, or use extents of smaller chunks to form a single large datastore. The recommended size is ~ 500 GB.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
Acara
Contributor
Contributor

KJB,

Thanks for the reply. I knew that was propably the problem but I didn't want to believe it. All my ESX2.5s are set with 500gb LUNS so why change now.

Thanks again,

KIm

0 Kudos