VMware Cloud Community
StolenNick
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie* Problems with networking

Hi community!

I am a newbie to ESX 3.5. I tried the whole day to find a solution for my "problem". Okay here it is:

Host with two NICs (vmnic0 / vmnic1). One virtual machine should be a Internet Security Center, so I need the vmnic0 exclusively for this vm for WAN. vmnic1 should be for LAN.

Is there anywhere a "how to" for my problem. As I built a vSwitch1 with vmnic0 only, I haven't found out, how to bind it to the ISC vm located in vSwitch0.

Thanks for some replies / links / etc.

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

probably you would need to change what NIC you want to give "access to"

first of all, you need to maintain service console connection (take of this as "management"), which I assume it is still in vmnic0

you need to have a Internet Security Center , so why do not you connect vmnic1 to the WAN, create a second vSwitch with an uplink to the vmnic1, and connect your ISC to this!

if you need to give access to VMs on the LAN, create a portgroup in the first vSwitch (kind of creating a third vSwitch, but for virtual machines, on the same vSwitch of the Service Console Connection)

that way you could have the 3 connections, the service console which has to be there, the ISC connection , and if you need to the virtual machine on the same LAN as the service console

regards

Jose Ruelas

P.S. you could use VLANs too

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
0 Kudos