VMware Cloud Community
ruival
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie: How does VIC implement "console" ?

Hi all !

I'm a newbie so please apologise if this is a real dumb question:

How does VIC (Virtual Infrastructure Client) implements the "Console" ? I have several windows 2003 servers deployed in virtual machines that live in my ESX server 3.5, so to use the console these VM must have some layer that allows the remote connection .... is is Terminal Services ? remote desktop ?

If it is Terminal Services then i can get into trouble installing applications in virtual machine ? should i issue "change user /install" for safely install applications in those VM ?

Best Regards

Rui Madaleno

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

The VI client doesn't connect directly to the guest, rather it connects via the service console network connection on the VMware host.

So you'll be fine installing apps - You are literally on the console, just like like being stood in front of a physical server.

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert

The VIC and Web Access provide console access which is equivlent to standing in front of a KVM or using an iLO/DRAC/RSA card. Although it's available for use, IMHO it is there as a secondary means of access. I would use other methods to administer the apps such as RDP, VNC, X, etc. If you feel strongly about installing apps via the console, then use VIC or web access.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

the other posters are correct - the VM console is obtained through the service console on your ESX host and if you are using ESX 3i it is the vmkernel - and acts exactly as described - but the vm console really should only be used for management of the vm - day to day management shoudl be done RDP/VNC - this will help reduce the load on the service console -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos