VMware Cloud Community
jhopp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Newb Console Cmd Question:

I've allowed root ssh access on a test ESX server here at work. When I'm on this box, or any other ESX as root, I can run the esxcfg-firewall command ... yet on this new ESX test machine I've created a new user (in VI client) and threw it in all the groups that the root user is in, gave the new account full admin permissions, yet when I run the same command I get "command not found"

I've since removed this new account from all groups but root, removed from the permissions tab VI client, and when I ssh to the ESX as the new user and elevate (su) to root I still can't run this command...and many others I assume.

why is this? argh..

plz halp.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try using su - the dash allows you to keep utilize the path for the user root

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

sounds like it may be a path issue with the non-root account. esxcfg-firewall is in /usr/sbin.

If you do an echo $PATH for the non root user is /usr/sbin in the path

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
jhopp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

$PATH

-bash: /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/x11r6/bin:/home/patcher/bin: No such file or directory

See attached.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

you could try editing the .bash_profile of the non root account. It is the home directory of that user.

you should see something like the following

1. User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export PATH

change to PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/sbin

don't know if you need more then that to have the esxcfg commands function properly

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try using su - the dash allows you to keep utilize the path for the user root

0 Kudos
jhopp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked, thanks!

Still unsure why, when only using "su" and and being in the /usr/sbin directory, I still couldn't run esxcfg-firewall.. but this works.

0 Kudos
mubix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The reason being is there is an arguement that you were missing. the command "su -" is used to include the profiles 'enviromental' variables, such as PATH. so you can "su - bob" and you will change user and import their 'settings'.

So, the "su -" command (root is implied) will change your user to root and import their PATH and other settings.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

good deal that things are working, the su - is short for su -l or su -login, meaning that when you change that user it runs its login scripts, su alone just switches users

0 Kudos