VMware Cloud Community
cperdereau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New VCP Study Online QUIZ

Hi,

After 3 weeks of work, you can now access the VCP Study Online QUIZ.

http://vcpquiz.awardspace.com/

This quiz has for now 432 questions. (aiming 500 soon)

Feel free to

\- leave a comment on a website or here

\- contact me in case of errata

\- propose more questions

Special thank to Rob Schmidt, who let me use his flash card VCP questions

Cyril PERDEREAU

0 Kudos
53 Replies
AustinPowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I took it this week and made a 93. I think you can safely say that:

• all questions are true/false or multiple choice

• all questions come from the product documentation - Quick Start Guide[/b], Basic Admin, Install, Resource Mgmt, SAN Config, Backup

• study the numbers - recommendations, specs, minimums, maximums

• it helps A LOT to have hands on experience

I spent about 40 hours studying the week leading up to the test, and it was time well spent.

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How do you guys talk your boss/company into paying for you to get your VCP?

What value does the company get out of it? It would be great to have a VCP, but I can't come up with reasons why my company should pay for it.

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are we talking about them paying just for the exam? or the exam+courses...?

Justify the course by showing that quality training of staff = quality of support...

Suggest this to them. If they pay for the course, you will fund your own exams and retakes if neccessary (that's the small block of money of course!)

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
AustinPowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The company gets an employee who has a more complete understanding of what the products can and can't do, how they work together, what the requirements are to use specific features or components. For example, I bet only about 2% of IT departments that support VMware understand what VCB is and how it works. That product by itself has features and capabilities that would justify the price of an ESX Enterprise & VC license.

Or you could approach it a different way. You can tell the boss that the VCP is proof that you know the material. Just like a college degree is proof that someone knows their way around a chemistry lab or a balance sheet. Smart companies require an accounting degree when they hire an accountant, or an MCSE when the hire a Windows sysad. A VCP is the validation that you know VMware. Or, that you're at least smart enough to find a brain dump and cram for a week. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
olegarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you have to manage VMware, they expected you to know it, do not they? If they really need the system to work propertly they need somebody to know it very good. So, I would just tell them that it's their best interest if you will study something that you responsible for... Hope, they will pay for the class.

And fees for exam, I think it's not a such big deal, after fees for the class...

My company sent me to class (it was their own decision), because they wanted to have somebody to know/manage system, so I was happy about it and I even not going to ask them to cover my $175 for exam (even it would be nice:).

Good luck.

olegarr

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Here's another one...

When I tell customers VC on works with SQL/Oracle - they often get upset - because of the licensing costs. Looked another way this SQL license is often a very small part of the total amount money the company spends on virtualisation. The same goes with training and certification...

A good company should be willing to invest in the employees skills and abilities - as part of their overall career development. It should really be a part of everyones appraisal process and targets for the year.

If I was employee and wasn't getting the investiment in my skills & abilties - we should worry. Firstly, I would worry because affectively I could be getting de-skilled especially if they are not investing new technologies...

Secondly, they shoud worry because I would I leave to join a company who did invest in my skills - or leave to form my own company which would...

The equation is: Invest in your staff, You get good staff, and you retain staff...

Too many companies see training purely as a cost they can cut. As an instructor I see correct product usage (how ever it is achieved) as fundental to the success/value of the purchase.

Put another way - whats the point in having having a Ferriari, if the person driving it hasn't been taught to drive properly, or how to get the maximum from their purchase. They might as well have a Nissan Micra \[insert other suitable bottom of the range small-car]

Regards

Mike Laverick

VCI. Instructor for 15 years... Smiley Happy

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
cperdereau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would say that one of the best argument is

http://www.vmware.com/products/vi/calculator.html

It depends of your company size, but when your training and certification is 0.01% of your virtualization budget, it shouldn't really matter for your company to spend $4000 to get a VCP.

0 Kudos
cperdereau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good news

You can now ask the quiz not to display a question you already answered right in a previous time

0 Kudos
AustinPowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's another one...

When I tell customers VC on works with SQL/Oracle -

they often get upset - because of the licensing

costs ...

Regards

Mike Laverick

VCI. Instructor for 15 years... Smiley Happy

But SQL doesn't have to cost a lot. $750 for a server license and one user CAL for $160 on the VC server. You can RDP to VC (or whatever machine you have the VI Client on) and avoid buying any additional SQL CALs.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The best quote ever to go to your boss with.

Manager: - what if I train my staff and they leave.

Response - What if you don't train them and they stay.

I work for a consulting company who makes a min of 4 courses/year available to their employee's, be they soft or hard skills.

People will always come and go if they are any good. The worse thing you want is a career employee who only never gets experience in other area's.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I see that Vmware states they do not support msde, but i don't see anywhere that they do not support Oracle Express. Its Oracle 10 and allows up to a 4GB database which more then meets the requirements.

0 Kudos
Sarek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

can't launch the test, i'm are directly linked to the www.awardspace.com web page.

Sarek

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Fatovich
Contributor
Contributor

Good resource, loving these forums!

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We probably blew some type of bandwidth limit which sucks as I have my exam in 2 days...

Today its working for me as yesterday I wasn't able to start any tests later in the day.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yet another inconsistancy in vmware's documentation it seems.

(118,Multiple Selection)

What are the three types of security policies?

1. Promiscuous Mode

2. Traffic Shaping

3. MAC Address Change

4. Forged Transmits

5. Beaconing

Wrong! 1 2 4

Explanation: Module 3: Networking Page 29

Actually this document disagree's

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_server_config.pdf

Pg 53

Layer 2 Security Policy

Layer 2 is the data link layer. The three elements of the Layer 2 Security policy are

promiscuous mode, MAC address changes, and forged transmits.

0 Kudos
cperdereau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is not a documentation inconsistency

The question is:

What are the three types of security policies?

Answer is

Explanation: Module 3: Networking Page 29

\- Promiscuous Mode

\- MAC address Changes

\- Forged Transit

In the server configuration PDF page 53

The vswitch policies consist of

\- Layer 2 Security policies < See Above (Promiscuous Mode/MAC address Changes/Forged Transit)

\- Traffic Shaping

\- Load Balancing

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ah, I didn't actually go look at the Module 3 page 29 and assumed the answers accurately reflected the documentation.

the answer is wrong then for the question as the system thinks the answer is 1,2,4 (traffic shapping is listed).

0 Kudos
thechicco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Question 79. (462,Single Selection)

What is the maximum Number of hosts per VirtualCenter server?"

As per http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_config_max.pdf this should be 100[/b].

4. 100

5. 128

Wrong! Looking for answers(s):5

0 Kudos
cperdereau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys,

I just got certified Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
thechicco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congratulations! It was the first day of my course today so hopefully will be taking the exam very soon.

Great quiz by the way. Going to bring it up in class tomorrow.

0 Kudos