VMware Cloud Community
Sawmill2008
Contributor
Contributor

New Install Question

I am trying VMware 3.5 Update 3 in a trial version. After the installation completed, I clicked the Finish button. It restarted the server into a command line. I entered the root user name and password and still have no access to the UI.

What command do I need to type to access a graphical user environment?

Edward

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

point your web brower to the IP address or FQDN of the host, there you will be able to download the VIC (Virtual Infrastructure Client)

if you found this or any other post "helpful" or "correct" please consider awarding points.

0 Kudos
Sawmill2008
Contributor
Contributor

This is what I don't understand. I know that I can download and intall the VIC (Virtual Infrastructure Client) onto another computer and gain access to my ESX server to maintain and adminstrator virtual machines (vm's).

From what I understand is when gaining access to the ESX server via a VIC you can't create VM's.

Can I access the host server with a graphical user interface where I can create some VM's, and if so what command line do I enter to go from a dos command to a UI?

Edward

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

When using the VIC, that is the GUI into the ESX host. If you right click on the host and choose "new virtual machine" then follow the prompts

Message was edited by: Troy Clavell

One other thing to mention, there is not GUI option within the service consloe, so if you are logged into the service console there is no way to launch and type of GUI

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Can I access the host server with a graphical user interface where I can create some VM's, and if so what command line do I enter to go from a dos command to a UI?

that's the difference between server and client. A Server is a OS based system that can run services and manage programs, and usually on a server you don't have much client or end user based interaction, since most servers are headless (no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, no real local screen). They just boot and await instructions or run pre-designed programs. That's what ESX is, it's a simple, yet powerful server that's meant to do one thing, run VM's. So your interaction with the server is mostly remote, not at the console, hence no pretty graphical user screen, this isn't something you use on a server anyway.Servers are big machines that need special cooling and sit in a large room (a NOC) and are closed off from the world, to minimize access, and they are very dependable, and don't sit near where you are to manage them.

A client is the piece where your have custom screens and interaction with the server at the back end, SQL has a management console, Windows has Remote Desktop, Linux has VNC or Putty, all of these things are designed to let you interact with the server, but depending on how you setup security, you have to login or have limited access to certain functions, so you don't want people doing things at the console, like creating VM's. That's reserved for the client programs.

So you can't do anything at the ESX console concerning VM's (you can do more advanced features like power on, create snapshots, etc.. ) but normally these actions would be done from the client screen, not the server.

0 Kudos
Sawmill2008
Contributor
Contributor

So where do I create the VM's? Can I get authenticated from a client as a domain admin that has privleges to create VM's or does the creation of VM's happen at the server. I'm sorry for sounding stupid, but I am really not sure yet where to create the VM's.

I currently manage a data center with over 150 rack servers and have been advised that the company is looking at VMware to relax the over head and cost that goes into running this many servers.

I have also been told that VMware ESX will not be that hard to learn.

I am at the very beging of my education, and this was my first time gaining access to the server.

Edward

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
Sawmill2008
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds good, I will take a look at that guid as a reference. I'm also buying TrainSignals VMware course (I hope it's good).

I was able to download and install the client utility on a Windows XP client. I put the IP address in and entered the user name and password I created when installing ESX and it gives me an error message that I don't have permission to login to the server.

Am I forgetting something or have a done something wrong?

Ed

0 Kudos