VMware Cloud Community
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

New HP System Insight Manager agents (v7.7.0) for VMware

I don't typically like to make this type of post here - it's largely promotional - but since so many of you have been having issues with the Insight Manager agents, I wanted to make sure that the word got out as widely as possible.

A new version of agents will be posted to hp.com this week. The following indicates what was fixed. One thing to be aware of – ESX 2.5.x and ESX 3.x will have separate agents as of this release and going forward[/b].

\- The Insight Manager agents bundle for VMware is now released in two separate packages: one for ESX 2.5.x and one ESX 3.0.x

\- Added support for new hardware including ProLiant servers with Quad Core Intel Xeon processors, new network adapters like NC364T and NC110Tn, etc.

\- Added browser support in System Management Homepage to include Internet Explorer 7.0

\- Fixed an issue wherein the storage agents consumed excessive CPU time, potentially resulting in server reboots (ASRs). The CCISS device nodes are now kept open by default on all servers to workaround this issue

\- Fixed an issue wherein excessive SNMP log messages were being recorded into /var/log/messages

\- The manual pages for the HPASM agents have been updated

\- Fixed an issue wherein the help pages for the NIC agents were not being displayed in the System Management Homepage

\- Error messages written to /opt/compaq/cma.log reading "[i]modprobe: Can't locate module mptctl Can not open /dev/mptctl, errno = 19[/i]" have been fixed

\- Fixed an issue wherein the HP Management Agents initiated a system shutdown immediately after a critical event or hardware failure, on IPMI supported servers running VMware ESX Server 2.5.4.

\- The status for DVD/CD devices is now updated properly under the Storage link in System Management Homepage

\- The help pages for Rack Asset, Server Enclosure and Power Enclosure are now displayed properly when launched from the System Management Homepage

Along with the above enhancements and fixes, we will also be including the README file for the NIC agents in the agents bundle.

As a side note, there is a new ROM to be released this week for the DL585 G2 that will fix a few issues also. Please watch for that release on hp.com.

\----

I've marked this as a question - the first three people who install and test the new agents and report their findings back here will be awarded points Smiley Happy

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kucharski
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I just installed the HP 7.7.0 agents on 2 DL385G1 servers. No problems with the installation on either of them. The only small issue and maybe it's not an issue, the System Model doesn't display in the upper right hand corner. Other than that it's same as the previous version of the agents. But at least with the 7.6.0B agents the System Model did display in the corner. Is any one else having this slight issue? And of course I am installing these agents on a couple of test servers first before installing them in production mode.

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
48 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Where is the link Ken?

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
Eddy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

7.6b was just released in NOV...

I dont like all these rapid changes. I typically stick to a flavor that works best for my environment.

Thanks for the info Ken...

Go Virtual!
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

They've not been posted yet, so I can't give you a link...silly beaver! Smiley Wink

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Eddy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Is Steve hiting the christmas wine early... Smiley Wink

Go Virtual!
0 Kudos
kucharski
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Thanks Ken for the heads up on the ESX 7.7 HP Agents. Can't wait to test them out to see how good they are.

Michael

0 Kudos
issuesVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will wait until Agents v7.7.0 is available

How can I disable HP storage Agents?

0 Kudos
TroyB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent. I've been having issues with the 7.6b drivers as well.

Let us know when the new agent is available.

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you guys are running lots of HP gear like we are you shouldn't depend on this list to notify you. Go to HP and setup a notification to get alerted via email when new agents and fixes are released.

https://h30046.www3.hp.com/subSignIn.php

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I am pleased to announce that the new 7.7.0 agents were published yesterday.

Insight Manager Agents for vMware v7.7.0[/url]

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you guys are running lots of HP gear like we are

you shouldn't depend on this list to notify you. Go

to HP and setup a notification to get alerted via

email when new agents and fixes are released.

https://h30046.www3.hp.com/subSignIn.php

I 110% agree with this statement! I'm posting here to make sure that everyone is aware...but please do follow this recommendation.

0 Kudos
kucharski
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I just installed the HP 7.7.0 agents on 2 DL385G1 servers. No problems with the installation on either of them. The only small issue and maybe it's not an issue, the System Model doesn't display in the upper right hand corner. Other than that it's same as the previous version of the agents. But at least with the 7.6.0B agents the System Model did display in the corner. Is any one else having this slight issue? And of course I am installing these agents on a couple of test servers first before installing them in production mode.

Michael

0 Kudos
mancio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ...

This morning I've installed hpsim 7.7.0 on 2 dl385, both the server are crashed and rebooted.

The 2 esx didn't work corectly until I've uninstalled hpsim.

In the first server I've upgrade from 7.6.0b, the second server was a fresh installation, but the issues was the same...

Bye

Matteo

jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Michael -

I've just succesfully installed them on two of our servers. Mine's showing the system model OK. Still no sign of the HBAs in Storage section though!

kucharski
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

There are separate download's of the HP agents. If you read half down the page it tells you that are separate download for version 3.x and 2.5.x going forward.

Michael

0 Kudos
kucharski
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It took a couple of minutes to show up. I just installed on a third one and it popped up right away. Regarding the HBA in the storage section. What do you mean by that. I am able to see mine. The HBA's are listed under the external storage section. And then if you click on the File System Space Used, it should your space free and used.

Michael

0 Kudos
mancio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

...of course...

I've installed the correct version for my esx servers: vi3

bye

Matteo

0 Kudos
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Under the Storage section, i dont actually have a External Storage link. I have the other links i.e. P400 controller, IDE and file system used.

I had this issue with 7.6.0 and 7.6.0b, and I have seen a couple of threads on here with other people having it too.

0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thanks for the heads up Ken.

0 Kudos