VMware Cloud Community
MJKNIGHT
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

New HP Insight Agents 7.6.0 for ESX 3.0.1

Hi,

Just ran through a test install of ESX 3.0.1 and found the HP Insight Agents 7.5.1a failed to install due to a version check in the install751vm.sh script. Upon investigation I have found that HP have released a 7.6.0 version and also the VMware documentation states the following....

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_systems_guide.pdf

Extract...

Management Application ESX Server 3.0 ESX Server 3.0.1[/b]

HP Insight Manager 7.5.1a X

HP Insight Manager Agent 7.6.0 X X

Latest 7.6.0 HP Insight Agent for ESX 3.0.1

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/25469.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Just re-testing and will feed back any issues....

Michael.

Message was edited by: Correct formatting....

MichaelJKnight

0 Kudos
85 Replies
Chiel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Im curious about this one myself.

Anyone have some thoughts?

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

it appears a silent install does not create the following file. /opt/compaq/cma.conf

If I run service hpasm configure and answer the prompts, the cma.conf file is created and I can see all information in the web interface.

0 Kudos
tose
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all

We are installing the 760 on ESX 3.0.1 and run into the following problem:

command not foundline 15:

... several lines until

command not foundline 43:

then

./installvm760.sh: line 54: syntax error near unexpected token

and some more lines of errors.

I repeated this on another machine and ran into the same problem.

Any suggestions ?

Thomas

0 Kudos
Chris_Lynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMM 2.1 is going to support ESX 3.0.1. It will be released soon.

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

Do you get around your issue?

0 Kudos
Chris_Lynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@TOSE:

Re-download the tarball, and extract the contents again. It appears that you may have a corrupt download.

@ Mooihoek:

Can you PM me the installation log? It should be located in /tmp.

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

I found the cause of my problem.

The silent install is fine, what is causing my issue is when I copy over a custom snmp.conf file after the silent install is complete. The insight agent does not like the settings contained in my custom snmpd.conf so obviously something has changed between the versions (7.51a & 760).

I'm trying to specify everything in the hpmgmt.conf

0 Kudos
Erik_Bussink
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

While I was able to install the HP Insight Agent 7.60 on an ESX 3.0.1 with success, the Storage Agent is not able to raise identify any information about the multiple HP 2242FC/A8003A (4Gb/s) adapters installed in the system.

So we can still not use Insight Agent 7.60 to look up which adapter is in which slot or it's link status.

Erik

Erik Bussink Solution Architect @VMware CISSP, VCP#67, RHCE, DCUCD
0 Kudos
KennyLogsdon
Contributor
Contributor

I have been struggling for some time with the HP Agents not recognizing a fiber link up/down. I have an HP DL380-G4 with two Qlogic HBA's running ESX 3.00 and HP agents 7.6.0 and the install went without a hitch. The only problem I am having is that when I pull a fiber cable to test to see if the agents pickup on the lost link, the homepage continues to show the link as OK. Only after I restart the agents (service hpasm restart) is the change in the link status displayed on the homepage and therefore via HPSIM. I suspect this is an issue with the agents. I am wondering if HP is addressing this or if there is something I am doing wrong.

As an experiment, I replaced the two Qlogic HBA's with two Emulex cards and the agents picked up on the lost link when I pulled a cable w/o having to restart the agents. What is even more interesting is that the Storage Event Logger (cmaeventd) hosed the processor (99%) and a kill command would not stop it. I had to poke the box in the eye. I never saw this problem with the Qlogic cards.

Sorry to be so wordy but any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Kenny Logsdon

0 Kudos
SanRam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Any thoughts on what the answer to this question

should be (and why)?

It has been determined that your server has more than

4GB of memory.

Due to a kernel performance issue on some 2.4

kernels, closing CCISS

device nodes may take lots of CPU time on servers

that have a large

amount of memory. By answering 'y' to the following

question, agents

will keep CCISS device nodes open without ever

closing them to achieve

better performance. Please be advised that by doing

so, you may have

to stop agents before you can configure the disks

attached to CCISS

controllers with such tools as fdisk or cpqacuxe.

Do you wish to keep CCISS device handle open (y/n):

I would recommend answering "YES" to this question. This is a workaround implemented in the storage agents for a potential performance issue, which is seen only on servers having more than 4G of memory running 2.4 kernels.

The storage agents usually has a polling cycle of 15 secs, where it repeatedly issues SCSI IOCTL open/closes during the Storage Agents data collection interval. This in turn consumes a lot of CPU, which might even result in COS hangs and in turn generating ASRs. Answering yes to the above question will keep the device nodes open, and works around this potential issue. And again, this issue is seen only on servers which have more than 4 GB of memory.

If you have already installed the agents by answering "N" to the above question, follow these steps to implement the workaround --

1. Open the "/opt/compaq/cma.conf" file for editing on the ESX Service Console

2. Locate the variable "cmaCloseCcissHandle". This variable is set to "ON" by default

3. Change the value of this variable to "OFF"

4. Restart the agents using the command, "service hpasm restart"

0 Kudos
erikgantar
Contributor
Contributor

This also help me.

0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion

My question is that the Service Console only has a small amount of RAM allocated, 800 MB max, so how would it be affected by this?

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have run both 7.6.0a and 7.6.0b on ESX 3.01 and found that after a while the server hangs or reboots (if ASR is enabled).

Has anyone else seen this issue? I have uninstalled the HP agents from one of our hosts and no hangs yet. You can;t even ping the COS IP address.

cheers.

0 Kudos
Chris_Lynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you performed a memtest on the host? Is your issue specific to a single host, or multiple?

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We 2 hosts and the issue occurs on both. I haven't run MEMTEST yet.

I have raised a call with VMWare and they state that only 7.6.0a is officially supported. I have re-installed 7.6.0a but disabled the Performance Agents (cant see a use for them) and see how it goes.

Without the agents running there is no issue.

Is memtest a good utiility to use? I have heard that VMWare have a memory test tool, do you know where this is?

cheers

0 Kudos
Chris_Lynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would use the latest SmartStart CD you have to test the hardware. Insert the CD, let it boot, then select Diagnostic Tests.

0 Kudos
MBrownHenn
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same issue. I have the latest 7.6b agents on an HP DL580 G3 with ESX 2.5.3. I know, a different ESX version, but the exact same results. The server becomes unresponsive and hangs. I disabled ASR to avoid uncontrolled reboots. HP's VMware support recommended disabling the HP agents (all of them) and so far so good.

0 Kudos
Dave_Duvall
Contributor
Contributor

I have also run into the server hang issue on 3.0.1 with the 7.6.0b agents. I'm using DL585 G2's. Happened on all my servers (4 of them). As someone mentioned above I may try 7.6.0a and see how that goes. I opened a case with VMWare today on this but (as always) - I may have found my answer here Smiley Happy

Message was edited by:

Dave Duvall

0 Kudos
Dave_Duvall
Contributor
Contributor

Ok - so I found a problem - how do I now download the 7.6.0a agents now that b has been released? It is not availabled in the previous versions area of the HP downloads site.

0 Kudos
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have 7.6.0b running on a DL 580 G4 20 gig mem with no re-boots as of yet. It has been up for 14 days. ASR is set to enabled.

It appears to be working ok. Except hba connections. I unplgged one of my 4 gig dual port qla2462's and it did not reflect it as being down.

Disabling ASR will not prevent the host from locking up? But will only prevent it from re-booting when it does?

What are the hp agents you are disabling? Can you provide the syntax?

Dave

If you go to the following you will be able to download 7.6.0a and other older versions.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/8901.html

Message was edited by:

gdesmo

0 Kudos