VMware Cloud Community
Mreese
Contributor
Contributor

New ESX 3.5 server - cannot add to Virtual Center?

I am working on replacing one of our older VMWare hosts with new hardware. I have installed ESX 3., but cannot add the new system to Virtual Center. I can ping the server, and can SSH and login to it. I don't remember having to do any additional config before adding the new system to Virtual Center.

The new hardwre is on a HP Blade, with iSCSI storage. This is my first time installing in this configuration, so I'm not sure if I missed something in the networking?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what is the message you get you your try to "add host" into your vCenter Server?

0 Kudos
Mreese
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry about that, I meant to post the erorr in my original message. The error is:

Unable to contact specified host. This might be because the host is not available on the network, there's a network configuration problem, or the management services on the host are not responding.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Can you ping your ESX host from the virtual center server machine? Are you trying to add the hot by IP address or host name?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if you have confirmed all that David has asked and there are no VM's running on this host, I would also try a reboot.

....or try restarting the management agents

0 Kudos
Mreese
Contributor
Contributor

As I mentioned in the original post, I can ping the server.

I have tried adding the host both by hostname and by IP. I get the same error either way.

0 Kudos
Mreese
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting... I guess the VXPA package is not installed on my new server!

Is there a way to install that package, or is a reinstall required?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos