VMware Cloud Community
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New Bios version affecting VMs?

We updated the bios on our host system in an effort to maximize the processors. We are now seeing degraded performance from our vms. I am using a HP ML570G3. We upgraded the bios to P37 6/16/2008. Is there any known issue? Can someone tell me if there is some configuration change that needs to happen after updating the bios?

I hope to find an answer rather than just flashing back to the previous version.

It is a HP ML570 G3

2 Intel Xeon MP 3.66GHz

64GB Ram I have the maximum recognized memory allocated for each guest OS.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you having problems with 32-bit and 64-bit vm's, or just one? Anytime you modify BIOS, there is a chance that the changes you made to that BIOS get wiped clean. Go back and make sure VT is enabled.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, we have only 32 bit vms and updated the bios to a new version and enabled the VT in an effort to use 64 bit. Now the 32bit vms are very slow to the point of applications timing out with errors.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

What about hyperthreading? Have you checked esxtop and see what kind of utilization you are getting out of CPU/Memory/Disk/Net ? For 32-bit, the vt won't matter, so that shouldn't be holding you up.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hyperthreading is turned on and always has been. I am wondering about the bios version itself. The version that was on the server did not include VT. The new one made VT available. I guess I will have to check to see what other changes it made.

Cpu used total is averaging 10 -15%

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Now the 32bit vms are very slow to the point of applications timing out with errors.

Well kjb brings up a good point, you did a BIOS upgrade, but whenever you proceed you should ALWAYS take note of the CURRENT settings, because a BIOS could reset them.

Or maybe the BIOS screen shows what the setting SHOULD be, but it's not active, so changing a setting and changing it back may 'reset' certain BIOS functionality.

So what may have happened is the BIOS reverted everything back to default, or introduced a different setting and that could affect your VM's.

So since the problem occurred after the upgrade, I'd say the BIOS changed something, or it could simply be a buggy BIOS, rather than fix problems it added new ones.

My question to you is did you check the BIOS notes first to ensure that a BIOS update was critical in nature? Because if it was just a BIOS update for the sake of keeping up with updates, that may have hurt your machine. If however they were critical fixes / bug fixes then I would call the vendor and ask them if they heard of any issues with that BIOS.

That may give you a clue.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

What about disk? If CPU usage is low, and your vm's are performing more poorly than before, I would look at disk, and your RAID/SAN cache.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Hyperthreading is turned on and always has been.

This has been a problem before, and the official answer as we have figured out through testing is Hyper Threading should be turned ON at the BIOS level, but DISABLED for ESX.

That way VM's aren't using logical processors, which is what is indicating your slow performance. What I suspect is that previous BIOS ignored or treated the hyper thread different, and NOW it's fixed. But 'fixed' meaning it should have been working like this all along, and you should have had problems, but since you just updated, now you feel the impact.

My suggestion is to disable the hyper thread in ESX, and see if the VM performance improves again. My final answer is it will.

0 Kudos
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So what is this VT option anyway? IT was not available in the bios that was on the box as delivered. A bios update makes it available. What is it for?

0 Kudos